Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Irrational fear of violence/home invasion!

Hello, this is my first post here and i felt urged to write as it's an issue that has been plaguing my mind for some time.

Over the past few months i have often experienced nightmares about my house being raided by burglars/killers. I share the house with my younger siblings and mother and they often at risk in these scenarios which makes me extra distressed. But another troubling aspect is that after i have awoken, the nightmare still feels as if it is ongoing. I'll have to go up to the windows and look to see if i can detect anyone approaching. Sometimes the rain sounds like footsteps. And even after i know the nightmare is over, i'll perhaps check all the doors and windows just to make sure. The one time i even went downstairs and held a knife and was utterly convinced somebody was going to come down and try and kill me. And then it wore off and as you'd imagine i felt ridiculous.

I'm not as scared when i'm outside and walking through the street, although i'm not too fond of being out at night. And i'm terrified of the tube station. I just feel so helpless and clueless when it comes to people. Who knows who is going to pull out a knife and stab me etc? I just find people so unpredictable!

If it helps, i do often read the news (Daily Mail mostly) and i have a compulsion to read it each day, no matter how grisly the content. And killings, maimings, rape are often a recurring theme.

I live in a rural area so crime isn't even really that much of a worry around here. I'm just so scared of being hurt or made to feel helpless. A house invasion is literally my worst fear! I'm quite scared around knives also.

Would be much appreciated if somebody could give me a little advice. Thank you! I'd just love to be able to relax at night and not have my heart racing after dreaming about being killed in my own bed.

I've been reading up lately on OCD thoughts as I'm convinced that's something I have going by the irrational thoughts I've had over the last 6 months. Unfortunately once something gets into your head, it's very hard to get that thought out of your head, and you could drive yourself insane constantly thinking of it. This is something I'm currently going through, it just seems my mind won't settle down from all types of irrational thoughts.

Sorry I can't be more help.

That's why I like having dogs. I also live in a rural area and dogs are better than any alarm system, they let you know when someone is around. A couple of strategically placed webcams that stream video to a phone app can be helpful as well. If you're afraid someone is outside, you can check without making yourself vulnerable.

That's why I like having 2 9mm's under my pillow...
    I made a sock puppet,..and liked it. SO THEN I JUST TOOK A PILL.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduronman View Post
    That's why I like having 2 9mm's under my pillow...
    Why, you sound a little like... a vigilante