Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Starting CBT Tomorrow

Hi Everyone,

I have five minutes to quickly give you an update on how I'm doing. I've been improving considerably lately. I still have some problems and severe symptoms, but I can go out despite these feelings.
    Tomorrow I am starting CBT therapy, with high hopes of course I am anxious, exited, hopeful and fearful all at the same time. I'm not scared of the therapy that's coming, only scared because I have to take the bus back haha. Anyway, I'll keep you up to date on how I'm doing.

Also, I have started to go to school again. I decided not to let this condition stop by life any longer. My study choice may surprise you, but I am getting my degree in clinical psychology. With the help of CBT, my family and my studies, I am sure I can get over this and help people get over their agoraphobia, depression or generalised anxiety disorder. I will keep on coming on here and share what I learn, maybe it can benefit one of my friends here. If I can help only one of you, I will have made an impact on this world <3

Good luck everyone,
    Sandra

Good to see you.

You can live any life that you can dream of. One day during your psychology class it will click with you, that you have been dreaming up your anxiety for quite some time (including most of the little details) using your imagination to create your reality. This will be invaluable information going forward as you endeavor to help others.

Chow for now Sandy
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

Well, my first session went GREAT! Right afterwards, I went to two stores, including one big supermarket (ASDA). A shop I did not step one foot into for the past three years because I was to scared. I also went into another store to charge our bus cards. Then I walked on the side-walk on one of the busiest shopping streets in outer London and grabbed a packed bus with school kids going home. If this is the result I get from one session, I cannot wait to see what the full three month term will do.

Hope this gives people hope to make the step towards CBT therapy or getting some help for their agoraphobia. So far, mine is working and I have a good feeling this will actually cure me.

hello Kixxi well done to you! i read a book once called, feel the fear and do it anyway. cant think who it's by now... Psychology is good as you will have experienced what it is like to struggle. keep on keeping on!!
    cough and the world coughs with you. fart and you fart alone
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy black View Post
    hello Kixxi well done to you! i read a book once called, feel the fear and do it anyway. cant think who it's by now... Psychology is good as you will have experienced what it is like to struggle. keep on keeping on!!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I hope the therapy keeps on working as well as it did the last time lol I'll keep you all up to date.

Also, something that really made something click in my brain was the following (maybe it will help someone here)
    My therapist said that I was not necessarily afraid of anything outside the home, I am focussing so much on what is happening in my body when I go out because I fear the panic. By doing so, I also magnify normal body sensations (such as sweating during a hot day or shaking because of the cold) and turn it into a panic attack.

Something to think about... Sometimes we turn normal body sensations into panic. This is what struck me the most and enabled me to do these things...

One finger or two?
    CBT is cool. Good luck with it..
    It's what your right hands for..

Quote Originally Posted by MiST View Post
    CBT is cool. Good luck with it..
    I'm surprised it is actually working. I've heard so many people talking about it and saying it did not cure their anxiety. Yet I am on my first week and 70% of my anxiety is down. Let's see if week 2 goes that great as well

so good that the anxiety level is down but you need to be vigilant. oh and keep doing your CBT homework! and also talk to your friends about it as well outside of GAD. its so good to have a network of friends. we are all routing for ya!X
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

how is it going Kixxi? i do hope you are doing ok

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy black View Post
    how is it going Kixxi? i do hope you are doing ok
    Hi Cloudy, thought I quickly post an update before my third session tomorrow.
    My therapist and myself have uncovered the underlying cause of my agoraphobia in two sessions, based on a reoccurring answer lol. Apparently I am terrified of fainting or the possibility of fainting. For some reason, fainting at home scares me less, probably because there are less people around so less embarrassment.

This week I have been trying to face my fear of fainting and I must admit that my anxiety has gone down considerably. However, I am struggling with a bit of a depression. No idea if the therapy has anything to do with it, considering it has confronted a lot of hard things for me and I have to go every week. High intensity therapy can be hard, but I plan on sticking it out considering the results I been getting from it.

Anyway, session number 3 tomorrow, so I'll make sure I'll check about the depression symptoms and how to deal with my anxiety further. I'll keep you all up to date