Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirtazapine

Update on the Mirtazapine.......In some ways I feel worse, I've been on the 30mg now for a few weeks, and I feel so flat. I feel very unmotivated and seem like I'm just stuck to the sofa and not wanting to do anything.

Is your mood better? Do you feel more hopeful? If not, then that antidepressant is not helping you like it should. Or, are you stuck on the sofa because it makes you feel tired. That one is known for being strong, but it does help people sleep. I was afraid of it because it can cause weight gain. That's why I take a different one, because I have a tendency to gain weight.

No my mood isn't great, most of the time I just feel nothing. Or I can be extremely irritable for days, like today I am very irritable. My dogs barking has driven me round the bend, when normally it would just be water off a ducks back.

I've requested a call back from my GP, I want to talk to her about the tablets. I honestly don't think they're helping me at all. All I know is that my moods have swung in different ways the last 6 months, and in that time I've been tried on 2 different medications - Citalopram and Mirtazapine. I'm also on beta blockers.

Update - I got a call back from my GP who said if I don't feel the Mirtazapine isn't working, then it isn't and I should wean myself off them.

Something definitely isn't right with me, my dog barking earlier nearly had me walking out. I grabbed him by the collar and literally screamed at him, I then burst into tears.

I'm coming off all my medication, I honestly don't think it's helping.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneCrory View Post
    Update - I got a call back from my GP who said if I don't feel the Mirtazapine isn't working, then it isn't and I should wean myself off them.

Something definitely isn't right with me, my dog barking earlier nearly had me walking out. I grabbed him by the collar and literally screamed at him, I then burst into tears.

I'm coming off all my medication, I honestly don't think it's helping.
    People with high histamine and low methylation are characterized as being hyper active and highly motivated but restless and tense. Mirtazepine is a VERY strong antihistamine. So if your methylation is relatively high, lowering histamine will expose the symptoms of high methylation. Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) can raise histamine (sometimes, in certain situations) and at least lower methylation a bit. Obviously this isn't doctor's advice and you've probably already discontinued the medication so... Eh. However, I think it is known that there is an interrelationship between histamine and methylation and mood. Your getting very mad at your dog and then crying afterwards is very indicative of high-ish methylation problems. At least, it's been observed in schizophrenics (obviously you're not schizophrenic but it still applies, just not in as big of a way) that have low histamine and high methylation that they're prone to outbreaks of anger with extreme guilt after committing the deed.
    Last edited by Blinkyrocket; 01-02-2016 at 01:34 PM.