Hi, this is my first time on here but I needed someone to talk to. I have anxiety/depression/stress problems and have done for 4 years. It's been affecting my school and uni work the whole time and I barely got into Uni. About a month ago I had a big breakdown and it was scary, I didn't feel safe. I was doing so well this term until then, went to all my lectures, kept on top of work but now the mental health stuff is on top of me again and I don't know if I can carry on with this year like this. I know I won't get the highest grades I can and I know my mental health will suffer for staying here and I might hurt myself if I have to carry on like this. There's an assignment due on Tuesday that I have no idea how to do, I feel like I missed something big, but with missing lectures, being unable to concentrate and dealing with derealization, I can't be sure, but it's stressing me out a lot.

I want to take the rest of the year out (3rd year) and resit next year. My dad isn't thrilled about the idea and worries that I'll just be sitting around the house for 9 months and then won't go back to uni. I think it's a good idea though because I can have a little break, get better, get a part time job and maybe work experience in my field. It will also let me catch up on the work I've missed out on the last few years because I feel so unprepared and behind this year. My uni knows about my problems so I don't think it would be a problem with them. The main problem is I'm currently in private student accommodation and I don't know if I can get out of my contract. I know my flatmates will hate me and probably won't understand if I tell them what's going on (I've tried in the past). I've got a mentor and just started with a therapist so I've got everything possible in place to help me.

Has anyone been in this situation or got any advice?