Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

I'm scared of my Xanax prescription

I asked my doctor for Xanax, because the Tranxene he gives me for anxiety (a benzodiazepine) has such a long half life and makes me feel tired and drowsy for days. But of course, I googled it, and now I'm scared to take it! There are some people who say how great it is and others who say 'stay away, you'll get addicted'. My doctor says I'm not the type to get addicted and he's not worried but still...

I don't take the Tranxene often, but I would if it didn't make me so tired. So I don't know how I'll react to the Xanax.

I don't want to take Klonopin because I have tried that and feel tired and drowsy from that as well.

Any feedback on it? Thanks.

I am taking Xanax for my anxiety and feel much better. Its a good medication. You should go for it, if your doctor find it beneficial for you.

+1 on Xanax. I once found it helpful. If you feel it's too much as first, try a lower dose.

I finally did take it and I do like it. It helps me to sleep and it definitely takes the edge off my anxiety. I'm just going to be careful to not get dependent on it.

Anne, I'm so glad it worked for you! It also used to work for my partner of 12 years, until he had to switch doctors and got one with an "ALL benzos are BAD" attitude. They eventually gave him Klonopin, which doesn't help him at all. I asked a prescriber a while back about what the differences in the benzo family are. They said Klonopin is the mildest, the slowest to start working, and lasts the longest in the body. Xanax is Thor's hammer--it hits fast, it hits hard, and it's the fastest to leave the body. I take diazepam (Valium) which is right in between, and the worst side effect for me is if I take it too often my sleep stops being restful even while I sleep ALL the freakin' time. I took Ativan a long time ago and don't remember much, so the side effects must not have been awful. I do know people, however, who have had serious side effects and/or addiction troubles with benzos. I'm super lucky; after 16 years diazepam has left no obvious damage and I have no problem not taking it when I don't need it.

Xanax really helps me. If it make you feel any better, ask your doctor if you can start with half a tablet instead of a whole. If your doctor says you're not the type to get addicted I'm sure he/she is right.