Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Generalized anxiety disorder directly linked to depression

I suffer from severe generalized anxiety disorder since my early childhood, and by suppressing my anxiety which i didn't know about because i was born this way, i was anxious all the time and don't know about it and trying to live normally like everyone around me by suppressing anxiety until at 17 i had a panic attack and after recovering from it i thought it was a one time thing and kept suppressing my anxiety and it lead to severe depression and all types of bad feelings and feeling like a zombie a body without a soul.

i believe that if you have depression, you might just be anxious about something for a long time.

i don't know if someone having GAD is becoming any better by any medications ?

I believe, as well, that depression can be a sign of long-standing anxiety. I once heard that depression was anger turned inward. I would also venture to say that depression is anxiety turned inward. I am dealing with anxiety and depression and think that my depression came about as a result of anxiety.

Depression is like a state of inactivity as a compensory mechanism after a period of extreme cognitive activity which characterizes my anxiety. Racing thoughts overtax the body and result in its shutdown (depression)?

I haven't started any meds, but feel like that is going to happen. I wouldn't take meds without doing therapy b/c meds, at least to me, feel like a mask to whatever underlying issues that are causing the anxiety and depression. I want to be able to feel less anxious without medication...if that possible.

Hi Jbean
    you couldn't say it any better.
    The word "Shutdown" is exactly what describes depression perfectly and that's exactly what i told my therapist but he couldn't understand !!

you are totally right about not starting meds because they don't heal, i stopped going this way too. If your anxiety is recent because of real life tensions, therapy will work for you. But what i strongly recommend before going to therapy that you check on your health, if the anxiety is FOR NO reason or the anxiety is not proportionate with the importance of the underlying reasons, it is often your body trying to tell you there is something wrong.

I had a blood test to check levels of vitamin D because it's deficiency causes anxiety and depression, so many people with anxiety and depression are vitamin D deficient. without even noticing it, you start feeling blue. Vitamin D is produced in our bodies when we are exposed to the sun. That's why we all feel a little down in winter.
    And as expected, i am deficient in vitamin D and magnesium. There is a thread about that in the depression forum about how vitamin D cured some people's anxiety.

I think everyone is different. I keep trying to get off my medication, but when I do I cry all the time and my anxiety is so bad it is crippling. So for me, I have to take it and it helps immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    I think everyone is different. I keep trying to get off my medication, but when I do I cry all the time and my anxiety is so bad it is crippling. So for me, I have to take it and it helps immensely.
    my problem is the exact opposite....I moved to florida from the northeast two years ago and I've had six psychiatrists since. I was on this magic cocktail of Effexor, valium, amino acid/magnesium/GABA supplements and next thing you know, no psychiatrists will prescribe me any valium, and my primary care doctor just gives me Toprol XL because he says it's not anxiety, it's just a rapid heartbeat. and also, "you're fat enough" (completely different subject, but i'm 6'6" and 265bs, i'm not fat and that doesn't do anything good for what little self esteem I have left) and valium will make me "fatter".

some days I feel like i'd be better off sitting in my garage all day long in the peace and quiet and dark and cool and not ever coming out again....until anxiety and the inevitable panic attack hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Hi Anne
    i know exactly how you feel about the crippling anxiety. I cry all the time also and my life is put on hold from a year ago. The problem is that these meds are making you dependent on it and that's wrong. They are not healing. May be it is just your body lacking some vital vitamin and can't function. As i mentioned before, mane people suffering from anxiety turned out to be Vitamin D deficient like myself.And it's by total chance that i discovered that. Vitamin D is vital and regulates calcium and magnesium levels which controls your moods and tention. So the chemical imbalance of my body is a key factor in my anxiety and depression. But no therapist bothers to check if i am healthy or not.
    so while on your meds, you can just get your blood tested for vitamin D3 (25-OH) and calcium levels and see what are the results. If the results came out to be deficient, you can get vitamin D3 supplements, get your body to a healthy state and most probably don't need to take meds for the rest of your life like the person who wrote the thread"Vitamin D3 cured my anxiety"

I have gotten both vitamin D checked and calcium checked (they were actually checked for a sleep study). Both levels were fine.

the vitamin D level to be healthy shall be from 50 ng/ml to 70 ng/ml. So some doctors would say that a level of 30 ng is fine but it isn't. so could you check the results again

that sounds so familiar. i just didnt know what it was and it only became "clear" when my GP diagnosed it by then i was in my 30's. i cant say that having a label has helped all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy black View Post
    that sounds so familiar. i just didnt know what it was and it only became "clear" when my GP diagnosed it by then i was in my 30's. i cant say that having a label has helped all that much.
    Hi cloudy black, i am interested to know what you have been through till now
    my doctors didn't diagnose me with it but after years of experience, i know very well my feelings to diagnose it myself.