Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Please can someone suggest something *triggering*

I'm really desperate for some advice, to sum up a long story, I've had anxiety/panic attacks all my life and did a really good job of hiding it from people because I thought I was crazy. From about 13 I'd not eat for days because I felt constantly sick from anxiety from irrational fears of dying etc. I got diagnosed with Generalized anxiety when I was 17 and things got so bad I couldn't hide things from my family anymore, cbt didn't help in the slightest and I was prescribed Valium which helped calm me down significantly but lead to a Valium dependency and basically I will never be prescribed again. I'm 21 now and I've become completely agoraphobic, seeing anyone even family makes me feel I'm going to have a panic attack, I was meant to be starting uni in last month but haven't been in after the first week from constant panic attacks. I came close to attempting suicide after the last time I went in because I realised how little I can function when I'm constantly having panic attacks but got scared and chickened out (which sums things up quite well really) afterwards my head was a complete mess and it felt like nothing was real and I was completely zoned out and confused which was when I went to stay with boyfriend which slowly made me feel more normal again. My boyfriend has his own depression issues and I know staying there is having a negative impact on him so I've come back to my uni accommodation in a city I know zero people and all my roommates don't speak English. I've stopped speaking to pretty much all my friends over the course of the last 6 months, I don't have family I can stay with and I'm so lonely here it's driving me insane & I don't know what to do. I can't cope with anything and I don't know what I can do apart from ring the doctor which has only made things worse in the past so I don't know where to start. If anyone can suggest anything or has any advice I'll be so so grateful

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren123 View Post
    I'm really desperate for some advice, to sum up a long story, I've had anxiety/panic attacks all my life and did a really good job of hiding it from people because I thought I was crazy. From about 13 I'd not eat for days because I felt constantly sick from anxiety from irrational fears of dying etc. I got diagnosed with Generalized anxiety when I was 17 and things got so bad I couldn't hide things from my family anymore, cbt didn't help in the slightest and I was prescribed Valium which helped calm me down significantly but lead to a Valium dependency and basically I will never be prescribed again. I'm 21 now and I've become completely agoraphobic, seeing anyone even family makes me feel I'm going to have a panic attack, I was meant to be starting uni in last month but haven't been in after the first week from constant panic attacks. I came close to attempting suicide after the last time I went in because I realised how little I can function when I'm constantly having panic attacks but got scared and chickened out (which sums things up quite well really) afterwards my head was a complete mess and it felt like nothing was real and I was completely zoned out and confused which was when I went to stay with boyfriend which slowly made me feel more normal again. My boyfriend has his own depression issues and I know staying there is having a negative impact on him so I've come back to my uni accommodation in a city I know zero people and all my roommates don't speak English. I've stopped speaking to pretty much all my friends over the course of the last 6 months, I don't have family I can stay with and I'm so lonely here it's driving me insane & I don't know what to do. I can't cope with anything and I don't know what I can do apart from ring the doctor which has only made things worse in the past so I don't know where to start. If anyone can suggest anything or has any advice I'll be so so grateful
    You poor thing to have to go through this, first just sit down and breath....you have made a good move by coming to this site...the people here have all been through what you are going through and are non judgmental. Sometimes it just helps to vent and let it all out...this is a great place to do it. First put Suicide out of your mind...you can beat anxiety...you are much stronger than you know...the fact that you have come this far with anxiety just shows how strong you are. If you are able it might be a good idea to find a support group...maybe the UNI has a list of support groups nearby....you will meet others who are dealing with same thing and nor feel so alone. I hope others will give you some other ideas...you can and will beat anxiety...you are much stronger than you ever realized. Best Wishes ans peace.