Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Breathing!

Breathing!

Breathing, it's extremely important! Yes, we all know this. I've been breathing terribly for years, I still do. I pay more attention now, try to belly breathe, slow breathe, etc. Sometimes it helps, sometimes I find it difficult. I have a lot of muscle tension, especially around my neck shoulder area, which doesn't help me belly breath. So, it's a double edged sword: the muscle tension leads to poor breathing which leads to more muscle tension. I've done physical therapy and massage, these things help but I'm still struggling. When I work out, sometimes I feel like my breath can't catch up to how much I'm exerting myself, it's a very uncomfortable feeling. Any tips out there, how to breath better, or more properly, especialyl while working out? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PR83 View Post
    Breathing, it's extremely important! Yes, we all know this. I've been breathing terribly for years, I still do. I pay more attention now, try to belly breathe, slow breathe, etc. Sometimes it helps, sometimes I find it difficult. I have a lot of muscle tension, especially around my neck shoulder area, which doesn't help me belly breath. So, it's a double edged sword: the muscle tension leads to poor breathing which leads to more muscle tension. I've done physical therapy and massage, these things help but I'm still struggling. When I work out, sometimes I feel like my breath can't catch up to how much I'm exerting myself, it's a very uncomfortable feeling. Any tips out there, how to breath better, or more properly, especialyl while working out? Thanks!
    Just as it took you some time to breathe incorrectly, it will take time to learn to breathe correctly

Anxiety causes us to breathe shallow so many of us have just figured that was normal. I had to make a point to learn the proper way. I set my alarm on my phone for every hour and I would then consciously breathe the right way while I was doing whatever I was doing

Repetition. That is the key. It will soon be natural
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe

Quote Originally Posted by NixonRulz View Post
    Just as it took you some time to breathe incorrectly, it will take time to learn to breathe correctly

Anxiety causes us to breathe shallow so many of us have just figured that was normal. I had to make a point to learn the proper way. I set my alarm on my phone for every hour and I would then consciously breathe the right way while I was doing whatever I was doing

Repetition. That is the key. It will soon be natural

Thanks man!