Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Benzos Not Working

So I suffer from severe panic disorder, but I had been doing much better so for about a year I was off any benzodiazepines up until a few weeks ago when my attacks started reoccurring every day sometimes for hours without relief. Problem; I used to be able to take 1mg of clonazepam/klonopin or 1mg of sublingual Ativan and I would have that almost euphoric relief and the anxiety would be gone, but when I've taken the same meds recently they've been making me drowsy and doped up, but done nothing for my anxiety. Anyone else ever had this weird feeling? It's like I'm a panicked mind stuck in a body that's falling asleep. It's 100% not a tolerance issue, it's the first few times I've taken these meds in a long time. My panic is constant now because I no longer have that knowledge that I can get relief if I need it. I'm at the point where I have no hope and I'm scared to even take my benzos because they've been making me feel this way. Am I alone in this? When I told my psych, my GP, and DR at the hospital that it was not working they were all seemingly confused? Ready to give up.

Don't give up on them. Your anxiety may be so high right now, that you need to be more consistent with taking them. Check again with your p-doc and get him/her to help you out of this.

Checked with my psych and he says to just wait it out, but not sure if that's possible. Basically having a constant panic attack every day and they are only getting worse now that I know there is no relief from medication.

If you're not getting any relief from the medication, then maybe it's not the right medication or the right p-doc. You should be able to get SOME relief.

Good old google with it's misinformation. Ativan has a four hour half life but an effective life of about an hour. Klonopin has a clearance half life of 30 to 40 hours but an effective life of around six. You are probably getting rebound. I like Valium.

If benzos aren't working perhaps you should try a different class of meds. If they continue to not work talk to your doctor.

Considering you've been off of benzos for about a year, I highly doubt this is an issue of tolerance. It is possible that your anxiety is simply so high that it counteracts the effects of the benzos. It's unfortunate that you don't experience at least some relief.

I take a product called Relaquil it does give me some relief

Now, it is better to consult a doctor and take the pills that will be prescribed by your doctor. It is better to change the medicine that you were taking.