Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Citalopram Increase

Hello,

I'm currently pregnant (9 weeks) and have been on up to 20mg of citalopram for years. My doctor and I agreed in both my first and now this my second pregnancy that the benefits of taking the meds outweigh the risks. While I know some people may have an opinion about this, my question doesn't relate to that choice. Starting on Monday my anxiety has returned with a vengeance, likely due to hormones. The extent of the panic led my doctor to increase my dosage to 30mg starting Tuesday. It's only been a few days and I am still quite agitated. Can anyone share experience as to how long it took an increase to take effect or any experiences of anxiety spikes in pregnancy? I'm having a very difficult time and any advice or support would be so appreciated.

Thank you,

Sam
    Last edited by Sammak; 10-09-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Please does anyone at all have experience with increasing their citalopram dosage? I just want some hope that it will work. Today is day 5 of the increase and I remain quite anxious.

I have experience increasing my escitalopram (Lexapro) dosage in response to increased anxiety. I find that the worst side effects come on day 1 of the increase, and the benefits come gradually on day 4 to day 10, roughly.

You should also take comfort in the fact that literally millions of babies have been gestated on SSRIs in just the US, it is quite safe.
    Male, age 29, full-time scientist in industry, New England, USA.
    Every day: 30 mg Lexapro (escitalopram), 1 mg Klonopin (clonazepam).
    Signature updated 2015-10-30.