Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Buspar Made Me Worse

Okay, so not too long ago, I began taking Buspar for my anxiety. I was prescribed 15mg. At first, I only took half a tablet and I noticed no difference in my anxiety. But then, I began to take a full tablet and noticed I would start to feel exhausted and drowsy for a while, and then, my anxiety started to get worse to the point where it felt like I was having a panic attack all day everyday, my stomach hurt, I could feel my heart beating, it lasted for about a week. There would be times where I started to feel more calm, but still very anxious, but generally, every passing second was hell. I stopped taking it, and about four days later, I noticed that I was starting to feel better, but still a little anxious, and that's how I feel now. At times, I'll be more anxious than others, but overall, it's still only kind of anxious, and not as bad as it was for that week. I've been feeling only a little anxious for I'd say what's been about 12 days now. But I still don't feel back to normal. I would have thought the feeling would be gone by now, but it's still here. When will it go away?

I don't have any experience with this medication but I am sorry it made you feel so shitty. Medications scare the crap out of me (what doesn't? anxiety problems!) I take Ativan - .5mg as needed and am even terrified of becoming addicted to that, lol. Have you talked to your Dr about trying something else?

He wants to put me on Zoloft. Though I'm wary because of the experience I've had with Buspar.

Buspar and Zoloft are two different classes of medication, they work two different ways.

I have been on Buspar for many years. Recently he increased my dose from once daily to three times daily (after a traumatic situation in my marriage) , since then I seem to have more anxiety, palpitations, nervousness....I wonder if its due to the dosage increase?

Sometimes the side effects are that it makes me feel a little jittery, but it works better for my anxiety when I take it three times per day.

I have been on XANAX for more than 2 years for my anxiety, it is is really good medicine for anxiety issues and Zoloft for depression.
    It works well for me in treating my depression and anxiety disorders.

Quote Originally Posted by RoderickLariviere View Post
    I have been on XANAX for more than 2 years for my anxiety, it is is really good medicine for anxiety issues and Zoloft for depression.
    It works well for me in treating my depression and anxiety disorders.
    Didn't Xanax cause you addiction by now? it's very addictive. I am afraid to take it

Im on 15mg a day.

It's really helping me.

Do feel drowsy but I'm quite enjoying that.

Xanax CAN be addicting in some people, but it doesn't have to be. My psychiatrist told me I had zero chance of getting addicted. He said, "I can't even get you to take the medication I give you." I've just started Xanax and so far I like it. I will use it judiciously and be sure I don't take it every day or do anything that could possibly lead to addiction. In my opinion, antidepressants are so much safer than relying on benzodiazepines for anxiety, but sometimes you just need that extra help.