Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Lexapro increase?

Hey everyone,

I had been on Lexapro 10mg for several years with great success until it recently crapped out on me during a really stressful time in my life. My doctor bumped up my dose to 15 mg, which helped some - the anxiety was less crippling, but still there. After a month, she felt that there hadn't been enough improvement and bumped up my dose again to 20mg. I've been on that for two and a half weeks now, and I'm not really feeling much improvement over the 15mg. My anxiety is still really bad some days. I have better days where I barely feel any anxiety, but I often feel depressed and anhedonic on those days. Is this normal? Should I be seeing more improvement by now? I'm absolutely terrified that it's not going to work and I'm going to have to change meds altogether. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

The anhedonia and depression could be caused by the increase in the medication. However, I can usually take around 4-6 weeks to feel the full effects of a medication. Were you experiencing depression before the increase in medication?

I've been on several antidepressants over the years (including Lexapro) so I know what it can be like switching meds. Don't be afraid of switching meds if it doesn't work, the goal is to find what works best for you.
    Your day will go the way the corners of your mouth turn-Unknown

Try not to be afraid of having to go on a new medication all together by viewing it as an opportunity to improve your life and help overcome your anxieties, HOPE.