Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meditation

Meditation

Meditation has helped my anxiety a lot. Not just the act of meditating, but, I'm really starting to dive deeper into the philosphy and teachings behind meditation. It's really taken me on an exciting and positive journey so far. I use an app many times to help me meditate. It's called Calm. You'll find it at calm.com. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I'm just a happy customer. I also recommend any book by Thich Nhat Hanh. You don't have to be buddhist by the way. And, his books aren't about converting you. You can believe in anything you want, or believe in nothing and still get something from his books. Finally, I also recommend Buddhist Bootcamp by Timber Hawkeye. Again, the book isn't about converting you to buddhism. It's just a good positive read.

Don't knock it until you try it.

One finger or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by greightful View Post
    Meditation has helped my anxiety a lot. Not just the act of meditating, but, I'm really starting to dive deeper into the philosphy and teachings behind meditation. It's really taken me on an exciting and positive journey so far. I use an app many times to help me meditate. It's called Calm. You'll find it at calm.com. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I'm just a happy customer. I also recommend any book by Thich Nhat Hanh. You don't have to be buddhist by the way. And, his books aren't about converting you. You can believe in anything you want, or believe in nothing and still get something from his books. Finally, I also recommend Buddhist Bootcamp by Timber Hawkeye. Again, the book isn't about converting you to buddhism. It's just a good positive read.

Don't knock it until you try it.
    Also check out Headspace

https://www.headspace.com
    It's what your right hands for..

Headspace is a good one as well. There are a lot of great apps and/or books that will introduce you to meditation.
    greightful.com

I have found it helpful on occasion as well for what it's worth.

I have tried it, didn't have as much luck with it as I hoped... exercise has helped me a lot more. I'm glad it's working for you, though.

Bare in mind, whether it works or not, is not a reflection on the practice itself; but more a reflection of self.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

James how do you know that it did not work. Meditation is no magic , it is a lot of practice, in mean time one become calmer, sleeps better, and have easier approach to life. You do meditate not to have instant gratification, it is not about it. Without meditation I would be dead long time ago.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    James how do you know that it did not work. Meditation is no magic , it is a lot of practice, in mean time one become calmer, sleeps better, and have easier approach to life. You do meditate not to have instant gratification, it is not about it. Without meditation I would be dead long time ago.
    I'm just finding I get frustrated when I don't get the desired results, which in turn only upsets me and increases my anxiety about doing it wrong. I did have a reiki master that was teaching me to meditate several years ago, but the cost was getting out of control so I had to stop going.

@Ponder, I'm just trying to understand what you are saying. When you say "whether it works or not", are you saying it okay if it doesn't work? I'm wondering if there is something wrong with me since I'm not getting the results others are getting. I do find it helpful to be mindful and I do self talk, but I've never really don into the trance others do.

Sorry, I'm just getting concerned about it now.
    Last edited by salvator here; 02-20-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salvator here View Post
    I'm just finding I get frustrated when I don't get the desired results, which in turn only upsets me and increases my anxiety about doing it wrong. I did have a reiki master that was teaching me to meditate several years ago, but the cost was getting out of control so I had to stop going.

@Ponder, I'm just trying to understand what you are saying. When you say "whether it works or not", are you saying it okay if it doesn't work? I'm wondering if there is something wrong with me since I'm not getting the results others are getting. I do find it helpful to be mindful and I do self talk, but I've never really don into the trance others do.

Sorry, I'm just getting concerned about it now.

Grrr I lost my post – Oh well, I try again. Forgive Typos and grammar ... last post before bed. Felt I should offer you something.

Hello there salvator

There is nothing wrong with you. Meditation is often misunderstood. Allow me to elaborate on how I have come to view meditation and how it is that I am able to enter into the practice without making much effort at all. It's like a concentrated state, that seeks to experience nothing at all. Once I have established a focus point (in my mind) the effort in which it takes to accept my thoughts and let them come and go – over a period of time, and repeated sessions, makes the practice more effortless over time. Whilst sleep is not the aim, it is perfectly alright … as the purification process that takes place in deep mediation can in fact still take place when nodding off.

LETS START – at the beginning. One has to understand what mediation is not. Mediation is not about reaching some kind of state. Unfortunately western practices, clinical and spiritual alike are way off the mark as to what the aims of benefits of meditation is and or about. It's not about obtaining some level of trance, reaching enlightenment or seeking to transcend. There is no doubt that some kind of awakening takes place within ourselves after coming to understand and practice the art of mediation – but the seeking of such experiences actually hinders the practitioner from meditating at all.

Meditation is more about being aware rather than in some state of trance. Being aware that one is meditating – SO WHAT IS MEDITATING? It's about not doing or thinking anything at all. No seeking and or experiencing. Forget about all the Yogi and Zen associated proclamations or enlightening stories of whatever spiritual peaking and bla bla bla. I've got book on it all and they are good reads to explain much of what I am saying now. They even bag their own ISIMS, CULTS, FOLLOWINGS and TEACHERS out … all for the sake of explaining what meditation really is, as opposed to the hype that's so commonly handed out.

Meditation can be as short as one minute! You exercise it a few times a day for consecutive days. You get stronger and better at doing it. Finding peace from one's thoughts. Thinking, feeling, doing, and experiencing nothing. I think of it as the bliss of oblivion. The Joyless Joy that's felt without the need to feel at all. Pure contentment in a state of no state at all.

Meditation like that allows us to heal our neurological pathways by releasing pent up tension that's been blocking our ability to sense just how sick we have become. The continued practice of meditation is a purification process that leads to inner healing on many levels which if understood can also help with our approach.

Everything we have ever experienced is stored within us. Which is why it is so important to make mediation about having no experiences at all. In essence we aim to separate ourselves completely from our body, so that it can have the room it needs to heal. The very nature of our mind inhibits the natural flow. Once you remove the source of the problem – peace and healing takes it's place.

Many people will attempt to disconnect by inhabiting the body. This process is more about using imagery as a means to become the body, rather than thinking of self and body as one. I say this, because it's more taking ourselves out of the picture completely. When we really picture the cells, we aim to become the body and in that process we shed our identity that we refer to as self. EVEN the inner self must go. To even let go of the notion - of true self. To let go of all preconceived notions that have ever been told to us or anything we have read. It all has to go once we take up the act and enter into this process which we call meditation. We completely wipe our minds blank.

I have been learning the Mantra Method. It's really no different to any other kind of focal point, expect that you use an inner dialogue that repeats two words. The words have no real meaning and are there more as sound in the head. One does not even say them out loud.

I AM I AM I AM I AM …. and so on. The beginning of an age old question … but the sound although written differently in many languages across the world, pretty much all sounds the same. What better way to rid oneself of thought than posing a question that's been asked over thousands of years. LOL.

It's not about thinking the sound over and over and over … It's just a starting place, that is used more as an anchor. You see, after a while the sounds of I am in the head start to fade and when there are no thoughts, you kind of end up in a nice place of nothingness – when our monkey mind starts to churns as it does so well, we simply comes back to the anchor of those sounds I AM I AM I AM …

there in no points or demertis to score or lose when thoughts come and go – no right way or wrong way … just the simple process of coming back to the anchor of I AM I AM AM … one does not have to articulate well in the head either at that … in fact, when the I AM's are working their thing, they will in fact start to slur as they fade with dissipating thoughts, where one will eventually get to experience that feeling of no experience at all.

It's crucial to understand that part about no seeking, not even observing. I used to like catching myself, catch my higher self. That just plays into the mind and once you figure you have observed sitting on the outer expanse, one crashes and the session is pretty much over … not only that … it often hinders the next session like learning bad habits build bad bridges. However having a focal point fixes that.

The mantra way is nothing like I thought it would be. It is NOT OM OM OM OM OM OM OMMMMM OMMMMM OMMMMM OMMMMM OMMMMMM … Nope … it is much more than that. It's also the next step beyond the breath. Breath is a good place to start, however this method works way better for me. Since I have started reading out loud, I have noticed a connection between my body and my mind. It's more interment – I also find it the same with doing the mantra in my head. Having to sound it out in my mind if a very powerful thing. Again … it comes down to understanding the processes that takes place between the thoughts, inner dialogue and how we breath. This mantra method really takes the understanding of it all to another level. It mixes our thoughts, breath and inner dialogue into one focal point that's very effective in settling unsettling thoughts.

Be sure to close the eyes to shut out visual stimulation .. this way one can turn in on themselves in a much deeper way. NOW – for many people at first … headaches will ensue. It's natural for the eyes to feel tight above the brows. This means your doing it right! This kind of meditation will detox the body in unsettling ways. You just do few a few minutes each time. Just understand that when you get stiff and or your head/forehead starts to stress … that just means your on the right track! Massage your brow, move your neck around … move sit up straight. Expect it not to be smooth sailing the first couple of rounds.

I'm no pro at this stuff – I'm just giving my run down on how I have come to understand meditation and how it works for me.

The book I am learning from atm is called:
    DEEP MEDITATION – Pathway to personal freedom. It's a yogi book, but again … it dispels the club mentality and explains just how much damage such dogma has done for the practice of meditation as is known by mainstream.

I don't do the practice nearly enough, however since coming to get a better grip on the subject, I find myself better able to find a place of calm in the most unlikely of places. I also use it to help me sleep. The later also in conflict with what mainstreamer think. The book talks about purification during deep meditation and sleep … it talks on many things.

Forgive the typos … very late here … for me … ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I go now and do some practice of what I speak.

It's just my outlook and nothing more. It's what's been working for me.

Mediation is a practice … a practice on how not to do anything, not think anything, not to experience anything, and not to see anything. No ascending, No revelations … yadda yadda …

Once you come to see that – through the method of a simple anchor … that in the process of seeking nothing; much is gained.

Night Folks. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

I don’t know ... and it feels good.
    Last edited by Ponder; 02-20-2016 at 06:35 AM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Let's say You do not meditate to get anything. There is not goal in meditation. otherwise is hard. No results but side effects are simply awesome. Mr. Ponder explained perfectly
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore