Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Driving phobia

Driving phobia

I have a phobia of driving I am now trying to work through again. Does anyone have any tips on how to get people to understand what it's like to deal with this phobia? I know the recommended method of dealing with a phobia is big steps (driving on slower roads you know), getting to know the car and how it works again and that's what I keep telling my husband I need to do. Unfortunately he just isn't getting it and it's stressing me out. I know what the rules of the road are, etc., but trying to overcome that fear when you are forced to drive 60 miles on the interstate getting yelled at literally made me sick the next day! I don't know what to do to get him to understand I am trying very hard but forcing me out into an environment like a highway or interstate literally two weeks after I've started trying to reconquer this fear is not productive.

You're certainly not alone with this, I don't drive so I can't really say for myself but I do know that 2 people close to me had this. One of which completely gave up with driving and forgot about it because she didn't feel confident enough. The other was like yourself but pushed a little too hard to 'get out there' and failed.. she is no longer driving due to a loss of confidence with it all. My advice would be take your time, there's no rush.. just take it easy and at your own pace, don't feel pushed into something your not comfortable with, it helps nobody. Good luck!

A few years ago, for some odd reason, I started having a little bit of fear of driving my vehicle on highways in which there were no guard rails. It wasn't a strong sense of fear for me. But it was strange to me since I've never been in an accident, other than a minor fender bender years ago.

Fortunately for me, the fear went away.