Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Hybrid View

Advice - any one taking more than 20mg fluoxetine a day?

Hi,
    I've been taking fluoxetine for a while and found that it wasn't having much effect. My doctor has prescribed me a higher dosage. When I fist started taking fluoxetine it upset my stomach for a while and my anxiety shot way up for a few days as well. Has anyone else had their dosage increased and if so, did they see a repeat in the side effects? I'd like to know if I'm going be facing the same upset stomach and increased anxiety I was when I first started taking them. Also did anyone else find the meds ineffective to begin with and have to increase and if so, did it make a difference?
    Thanks for any help.
    (I realise this is a question I could have asked my doctor but I can never think on the spot when they ask me if I have questions, also I would like to hear from people who are taking the medication themselves.)

Hi there,

You won't get the same degree of side-effects from upping the dose as when you started. I'm on 20mg but I've been on more than that.. I've never found the increased dosage (of any anti-deps) made much difference to be honest. It's worth a shot though.

Cheers,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Hi Gypsy,
    Thanks for that, it's good to hear what other people have experienced with it. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed it does work, I really need it to.

You're welcome

Fluoxetine has probably been the most successful anti-depressant for me and I've been on a lot of them. As far as anxiety goes though, it works sort of indirectly in that it gives me a bit more energy and confidence, which helps with social anxiety. But for the actual physical anxiety I've found things like breathing and exercise a lot more effective.

Good luck..

I haven't been put on to anything else, I hope it works. I find exercise quite helpful as well but I struggle with breathing things, I think its something I need to work on because I can't shut my mind down and focus on the breathing. I have to be doing things, which is why the exercise works I guess.
    Thanks again

I know what you mean. Most of the time I'm thinking about other things while doing the breathing. It still works

I'll have to keep trying it, I think

I've got this app on my phone that times the breathing. I've been doing that for about two years now and it really helps, especially when the anxiety is "acute". Like one time I was barely sleeping and I started doing the breathing and went from zero sleep to about 5 hours. It takes a while to get used to and can be a bit uncomfortable, but it's the most helpful non-drug thing I've found in 20+ years.

This is the app: http://www.saagara.com/apps/breathing/relax

Thanks, that sounds like it'd be good, I'll give it a try if my crummy phone will let me download it. Thank you