Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Is it time for me to see a doctor?

I have had mild anxiety for most of my life but it was manageable depending on what point of my life such as during secondary school for my exams my anxiety levels naturally went up and also during uni but I am 22 years old now and for the past year I have been working hard on facing my fears one step at a time and helping myself improve and I was getting a lot better, but these last few months I feel like I am going backwards and I feel far worse than I have ever felt before. I don't leave the house for fear of my anxiety symptoms making me sick in public and because I stay in my house all day my family tell me I am a lazy person. It's not a choice for me to be in my house all day I really am struggling. I have a constant headache, the slightest thing will set of my symptoms, I cry every day and stress every day about how much my life is being affected I have even had my first panic attacks this month which I haven't had since i was 16. I feel like my mind never stops thinking and worrying about everything and I feel trapped. I think it is time for me to go to see a doctor but I am scared of what to expect and what they will ask and say to me. Is there anyone that can talk me through their experiences of first going to seek help from a doctor?

I really would appreciate any responses of any kind of supportive words

I read this and I thought I had wrote it :-)

1 month ago my anxiety returned after about a year of being anxious free. I developed this anxiety that wouldn't let me leave the house for fear of having a panic attack while driving or taking the train. One morning I just forced myself to go to the doctor. I called ahead and told them my conditions and that when I arrived, I didn't want to have my blood pressure taken or any other tests for fear of setting off an attack. I got to the doctor, they calmly listened to my symptoms and were aware that I was fearful. They gave me a Xanax pill and just talked with me until I was calm. Then I was able to describe all my symptoms, have my vitals taken, fill out the paperwork, and just be normal. They gave my an anti-depressant as well. I'm not depressed, but anti-depressants can cure the part of your brain that give you anxiety. I'm feeling better. It's nice knowing I have a Xanax in my pocket in case an attack comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami591 View Post
    I have had mild anxiety for most of my life but it was manageable depending on what point of my life such as during secondary school for my exams my anxiety levels naturally went up and also during uni but I am 22 years old now and for the past year I have been working hard on facing my fears one step at a time and helping myself improve and I was getting a lot better, but these last few months I feel like I am going backwards and I feel far worse than I have ever felt before. I don't leave the house for fear of my anxiety symptoms making me sick in public and because I stay in my house all day my family tell me I am a lazy person. It's not a choice for me to be in my house all day I really am struggling. I have a constant headache, the slightest thing will set of my symptoms, I cry every day and stress every day about how much my life is being affected I have even had my first panic attacks this month which I haven't had since i was 16. I feel like my mind never stops thinking and worrying about everything and I feel trapped. I think it is time for me to go to see a doctor but I am scared of what to expect and what they will ask and say to me. Is there anyone that can talk me through their experiences of first going to seek help from a doctor?

I could have wrote this when i was your age, was accused of being lazy, anti social...the whole lot by my family. Their belief was if someone was depressed or had anxiety they had to much free time on their hands. Still to this day they do not officially know i suffered from anxiety. YES go see a doctor you are 22....you are young with a whole life ahead of you don't let this control you...you learn to control it and its causes. It took me until i was about 45 to do something about mine...due to urging of friends who saw how bad i was. i hate that i wasted so much of my life before getting help...but I had come to believe the things I was told by my family....Don't believe them. In the mean time try not to worry....there is only so much we can control...let tomorrow take care of it self. Best wish and peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami591 View Post

If your going to a psychiatrist and not just a regular doctor they usually do a diagnosis first. They ask you about your life, your symptoms, moods, drug abuse history, if you were ever on any meds or had any surgeries. They tell you what they believe you have (in your case an anxiety disorder). They'll talk to you about meds and probably order blood tests. Then they may see you once a week, once every two weeks, or once a month.

Good luck hun!!!

Hi Sami. It is so sad to hear your problems. I also suffer from anxiety time to time. I did an alternative method. Before I went to work, I took 1 pill of Ritalin. It's not an anxiety medication. It's commonly used for ADHD. But it elevates your mood all day. After work I did some exercise before going home. I started to sleep well and now I'm off medication. I still take 1 or 2 pills very occasionally when I know that it is gonna be a stressful day. I'm now in a much more manageable situation. I hope it helps

Hello,
    I am sorry you are feeling this way. No one should have to feel this overwhelming anxiety. I think you definitely need to see a doctor right away. If you're too overwhelmed to make the appt, can you ask a parent to do it for you? You're never too old to need your parents! I'm 33 and and going through my first bad experience with anxiety and panic and my mom flew out to stay with me for two weeks. It was really great having her here. I do not have my meds perfectly dosed yet, I still have some anxiety but it's getting better.
    My doctor told me something that I thought made sense. She said anxiety is like a broken record player, with the needle stuck in a groove and the needle makes the groove deeper and deeper, and harder to get out . If you don't get a handle on the anxiety, it gets harder to get it under control. Go now, you are still young and can get on top of this and then build a meaningful life for yourself. Perhaps train for a work at home job? The future is bright, don't let this define you! Look into Mindfulness which is training your mind to think about the present moment and not worry about the past or future, only today. Good luck!
    Last edited by LifesPeachy; 09-26-2015 at 09:26 AM.