Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    major depression and generalized anxiety axis 1. that's it. I went to the ER in the mid of the night tho for anx(iety) and they put me on the risperdal and said take it five days then my psych can take me off it. but he kept me on it. i'm not even sure why.

People with anxiety and panic disorder can have the opposite of the desired effect with high doses of SSRIs. It can actually make you more anxious. I recommend only letting a psychiatrist manage your meds, they know these things that GPs may not. Risperdal/ geodone are in the same class as abilify, which can be used as adjunctive therapy with SSRIs to treat depression. Good luck, I hope this all gets straightened out for you, and that you are feeling better soon.
    Last edited by panic30; 09-06-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Anacin wrote:
    "i got the one where you cant walk and your jaw locks"

That sounds more like dystonia, not dyskinesia. It is a similar side effect. They are both in the class of extrapyramidal side effects (EPS). They are caused by the same drugs (antipsychotics) and they are treated by the same drugs (anticholinergics like Cogentin).

Geodon is an atypical antipsychotic, which is the same class as Abilify, Risperdal, Zyprexa, and Seroquel. All these drugs are used for anxiety sometimes, but none of them is FDA approved for anxiety. There are a good number of papers showing efficacy for anxiety.

The "tardive" in tardive dyskinesia means that it is delayed. Tardive dystonia is also an EPS, although it is less common. Since you had just increased your Geodon dose, your case is not "tardive".

Nonetheless, many doctors call all EPS "tardive dyskinesia", even if they are not tardive and they are not dyskinesia. You had immediate dystonia, not tardive dyskinesia, but it's all the same to ER doctors. Neurologists are the ones who would really make a distinction.

EPS can be very scary, but if the onset is sudden then it usually goes away within a few hours with treatment. It can feel like a seizure or a stroke, but it is not.
    Male, age 29, full-time scientist in industry, New England, USA.
    Every day: 30 mg Lexapro (escitalopram), 1 mg Klonopin (clonazepam).
    Signature updated 2015-10-30.

Yes, it happens once when I had taken higher dose. It was so bad.