Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Driving 468x60
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    The worst it's been

    Hi All,

    It's been a long time since I thought I beat anxiety. However, I have somehow fallen back into it, and I feel that I've developed agoraphobia. The good news is, I never knew what this was, and now seeing that there's an entire section of the forum about it, I feel more comfortable. I've literally been panicking since yesterday. I have had an upset stomach and my heart rate has been high (due to being nervous), as well of a choking feeling when I panic. I really, REALLY, just want to go to the hospital to get some medication and a referral to someone to talk to. I'm just having trouble leaving the apartment for fear of having a panic attack on the way there. It's been 24 hours since these consistent attacks began.

    I know I sound really stupid right now, as a few months ago I was giving advice, but I'm asking for help from my fellow sufferers.

    I think part of the problem is that one way I got rid of anxiety for so long was because I was physically active. I've been sick for a few days and think that was the trigger.

    I'm scared to drive to the doctor for fear of an attack while driving. I'm scared to ask my girlfriend to take me for fear of embarrassment and having an attack on the road.

    I really just want to talk to someone going through the same thing. I just don't know any.

    Any and all help is more than appreciated. Having a bad day, yall.

  2. #2
    One finger or two?
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Behind you..
    Posts
    1,190
    Dr Claire Weeks has written some good stuff on this subject, have you read any of her work?
    It's what your right hands for..

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MiST View Post
    Dr Claire Weeks has written some good stuff on this subject, have you read any of her work?
    I have not. I haven't read any anxiety pieces. I'm really stubborn, and have been in the past, and wanted to beat this on my own. I am now letting go of that habit and ready for any help I can get, along with any training and exercises I need to do to overcome it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MiST View Post
    Dr Claire Weeks has written some good stuff on this subject, have you read any of her work?
    Sorry, I forgot to thank you for giving me this name. I am looking her up now. Thank you :-)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA - Florida
    Posts
    1,539
    Don't forget the strength and conviction you had just a short few months ago :

    "How I recently defeated my anxiety by av1988 -



    I didn't want to post this until it had been a while of being anxiety-free.

    I was having panic attacks on a daily basis. Every once and a while, I would go to a doctor, get some pills (Xanax) and I'd be good for a month. My job is really high-speed so weekly counseling was out of the question. I just dealt with it.

    My anxiety got worse and worse and the attacks lasted numerous hours! It was horrible. Everyday was literally me trying to pretend like I was working, but really I was concentrating on not dying. After a while, I turned to more frequent exercising. I realized that lifting weights didn't do much for me, so I needed something that I really enjoyed to get my mind of these panic attacks.

    TENNIS! I love it. It's the one sport I can get sweaty and tired and not even realize I'm exercising. I realized the more I played, the less I was having the attacks.

    This was the physical aspect of kicking the attacks. I still had to figure out how to mentally defeat them if I couldn't play tennis.

    I was in the Army. I used to be very tough and didn't even believe in anxiety. I decided to apply those old feelings to kicking the attacks. I felt the beginning stages of an attack coming on one morning, I was at work, no Xanax, and no where to go. I then thought to myself, "Wait, I've had a million panic attacks, but so far, I've lived through 100% of them. I'm undefeated when combating panic attacks. They can't ever defeat me". Then I kind of laughed.

    Since that moment, I have not had a panic attack. I have felt the beginning stages a few times, but have been easily able to toss it away. Panic attacks make your mind race. They make your muscles tired. You have to build your mental toughness. I love the 'new me' and enjoy the finer things in life.

    I know how scary these things are. If you ever find yourself having an episode, just know that you are undefeated against your panic attacks. Know that every day above ground, is a good day"

    --------------- end inspirational message.

    Who was that giving such excellent advice? Do you remember ?

    Picture the outside world as a safe environment, where friends are true, where people are there to help you at every turn. Where you are allowed to feel, well, up or down without shame, weakness, or guilt. The first reaction is always the ER, you know that. You also know how to relax, and let the feelings run through you, let them do their very worst, until they are gone, with only a feint trace of exhaustion.

    You know you are loved, receiving back ten fold what you have given to others with your help and advice.

    This is a temporary setback, reactive to a current trigger or problem
    .

    Rekindle the same feelings from re reading your words above and let that give you respite from a tired mind.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 07-22-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Im-Suffering View Post
    Don't forget the strength and conviction you had just a short few months ago :

    "How I recently defeated my anxiety by av1988 -



    I didn't want to post this until it had been a while of being anxiety-free.

    I was having panic attacks on a daily basis. Every once and a while, I would go to a doctor, get some pills (Xanax) and I'd be good for a month. My job is really high-speed so weekly counseling was out of the question. I just dealt with it.

    My anxiety got worse and worse and the attacks lasted numerous hours! It was horrible. Everyday was literally me trying to pretend like I was working, but really I was concentrating on not dying. After a while, I turned to more frequent exercising. I realized that lifting weights didn't do much for me, so I needed something that I really enjoyed to get my mind of these panic attacks.

    TENNIS! I love it. It's the one sport I can get sweaty and tired and not even realize I'm exercising. I realized the more I played, the less I was having the attacks.

    This was the physical aspect of kicking the attacks. I still had to figure out how to mentally defeat them if I couldn't play tennis.

    I was in the Army. I used to be very tough and didn't even believe in anxiety. I decided to apply those old feelings to kicking the attacks. I felt the beginning stages of an attack coming on one morning, I was at work, no Xanax, and no where to go. I then thought to myself, "Wait, I've had a million panic attacks, but so far, I've lived through 100% of them. I'm undefeated when combating panic attacks. They can't ever defeat me". Then I kind of laughed.

    Since that moment, I have not had a panic attack. I have felt the beginning stages a few times, but have been easily able to toss it away. Panic attacks make your mind race. They make your muscles tired. You have to build your mental toughness. I love the 'new me' and enjoy the finer things in life.

    I know how scary these things are. If you ever find yourself having an episode, just know that you are undefeated against your panic attacks. Know that every day above ground, is a good day"

    Who was that giving such inspirational advice?

    Picture the outside world as a safe environment, where friends are true, where people are there to help you at every turn. Where you are allowed to feel, well, up or down without shame, weakness, or guilt. The first reaction is always the ER, you know that. You also know how to relax, and let the feelings run through you, let them do their very worst, until they are gone, with only a feint trace of exhaustion.

    You know you are loved, receiving back ten fold what you have given to others with your help and advice.

    This is a temporary setback, reactive to a current trigger or problem. Rekindle the same feelings from re reading your words above and let that give you respite from the tired mind.
    Thank you for posting! Yea I look back at this great year I've had an know I can win. I'm just struggling this week.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    USA - Florida
    Posts
    1,539
    If you want to listen to dr. Weekes (very good idea by MIST), sign up for a free account at audiobooks.com or amazons audible.com, and get your free first book 'hope and help for your nerves' by dr Claire weekes -

    I'll be back with a link in a few minutes........ here:


    http://www.audiobooks.com/audiobook/...-nerves/198291

    Go have a listen, you'll get through this !
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 07-22-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Im-Suffering View Post
    If you want to listen to dr. Weekes (very good idea by MIST), sign up for a free account at audiobooks.com or amazons audible.com, and get your free first book 'hope and help for your nerves' by dr Claire weekes -

    I'll be back with a link in a few minutes........ here:


    http://www.audiobooks.com/audiobook/...-nerves/198291

    Go have a listen, you'll get through this !
    Thanks, friend! I really, REALLY, appreciate your help.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Driving Large