Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm just now messing around with Windows 8.1, I've never used anything above Windows 7 until roughly two weeks ago.
    -Your best days are ahead of you-

i figure if i don't like it i will just uninstall it and put 7 back on
    " it is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt ", Mark Twain.

One finger or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    i figure if i don't like it i will just uninstall it and put 7 back on
    You hope! LOL
    It's what your right hands for..

Yeah I worry that if you install W10 you will not roll back to W7,
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

One finger or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    Yeah I worry that if you install W10 you will not roll back to W7,
    Yea, i suppose you could always run a duel boot setup just incase Win10 sucks! then just format the drive to remove it..

But im trying to be optimistic, i have hopes that Microsoft has learned from it's mistakes.

Oh who am i kidding..it's Microsoft! LOL!

If you using a laptop, you will in all likely hood be able to roll back using a setup feature via a restart option. Typically using an F key in bios mode. OR in windows - (System Restore = keyboard shortcut → "Widows icon + S ... then type "System Restore") I find having no expectation woks best; especially when if comes to operating systems. Microsoft tends to have more issues than Apple, however imo has more room for freedom when it comes accessing more software and at more affordable prices.

Just my opinion - and I'll share more of it. There are many things come to mind when thinking on OS rolls outs.

"Before you become one of the billion that whine, moan and bitch" ... A few thoughts to consider:

It's a common mistake to upgrade without giving any thought to how old your computer is when installing a new operating system. Most people just upgrade with all kinds of expectations only to end up sorely disappointed for not having cindered.

Installing a new operating system without regard for the shell bearing the load, often ends up like a tiny car scrapping its ass on the road because of too much weight. It's not such an issue in the real word of mechanics, because the parts would not fit during instillation. With PCs we can install software that over burdens them. Why? As well as keeping the hive connected - it works into the unobservable phenomenon called obsoletion. The act of making something obsolete, in order to keep selling. Works perfectly with computers and software.

Srry - I don't mean to write a book ... it's early morning and I love this kind of topic and needed a change.

Installing the latest software on computers that do not have the recommended software can be rewarding for those few individuals who can tweak their systems and the software to work reasonable well without expectation ... however this in not for the wider community and will result in sales skyrocketing for the average PC user. Many of us geeks are self made from simply being not able to afford the cost of keeping up. Young and Old alike. The "Wiz Kid Scenario" is just yet another ploy to influencing many of us older ones to feel inadequate and that we must buy in order to keep up with the Jones ... yadda yadda. Kids who have money will just buy their way into the next levle - Wiz Kid Myth Busted. It's more about Need, Desire and Will.

Not a problem if you intent to buy after the release of WIN10 - and most likely not an issue if you made a recent purchase. Yes you can go to the System Requirements Page and you will see minimum specs and so on ... BUT ... again ... there is a lot consider and the fact remains, people just upgrade without even on word uttered regarding their systems compatibility. How much System Memory, HDD space, CPU type and then the type of Software you use → will that be buggy on the new OS? The Original Windows 8 was a nightmare for PC gamers ... or wait, was that Win7 (No it was not, that was a good release imo. A few issues with 64 bit but compared to 8 → 7 fixed the issues much much quicker.) Windows Vista was a major disaster for much of the reasons outline with sys requirement (Dragged the ass out of Laptops - let alone some desktops. Everyone wanted to upgrade to the latest but they were bitterly appointed with a lot of outcry) Many of the others struggled early on with the melding Mobile and Desktop Technology. Remember the touch screen phase/fad and then comes all the new fang dangled startup MASS MARKETING SOCIAL MEDIA BRAINWASHING NEWS FLASH BULLSHIT now on our start up screens.

OH BOY --- its worse than having to untick all the boxes when installing new programs to avoid the spam, the system resource hogging software that wants to know how many times we wipe our ass. ..... You either have to keep up to date learning how to code your OS or install yet again more software to get rid of all the SHIT ... like when you take home you new laptop and then if it's not bad enough with the OS marketers ... the ones that made you laptop also fill it up with even MORE shit!!!!!

I hope we are not left having to mess with our shortcuts in order to get our games to run. Sigh ... Or yet another pop up - ERROR → "Please visit such and such Page to Download the Compatible version of this software!" "Click here to install updates" $$$$ - New - 128 Bit bit with 24 cores ... Yeaaaa ... but notice how the games have reached their peak while the hype still leaks. Same shit with most of these OS and phone releases.

There might actually be a few changes that matters, but for the most part ... the sheep will just sign up without too much thought and load up a few expectations of their own and most likely end up bitterly disappointed simply because they have not consider the wider implications often associated with of a New OS.

I suspect it will be as buggy as hell and require a lot of repetitive updating. The problem with most of the bitching and whining - is that such users fail to maintain their own systems with the OS they currently have. When was the last time you ran a system scan? - Updated, let alone ran Defrag ... or if your using the latest Solid Sate Drives ?? Are you ... Do you even Know? lol - In that case you should be doing something else ... hows the malware scanning and registry cleans going ??? Or do you just click those BS pop up boxes that so "your PC is running slow - CLICK HERE!" Hmmmm.

Not sure I have made a point ... but that sure was fun to write up.

Check the minimum system requirements (not that Microsoft has even been reliable on that)
    Check the compatibility Center.
    and most of all - have no expectations and expect the worse.

Learn how to Roll Back:
    If you do not have or can't find an option in your Bios (typically laptops)
    You can hit your windows Icon on your keyboard whilst holding S at the same time - Type in System Restore and go from there:
    However I recommend reading more online -

Having said that though ... there is really only two choices that I have found - one will restore with your registry intact which is NOT a fresh install.
    I am only well versed in doing it that old fashioned way with desktop models I have built and an ISO image I typically have on disc.

Such is becoming more of an art as corporations tighten the noose on CHOICE - buy installing/embedding the limitations in the Bios and various Start Up options.

Whilst this laptop I am running now - has over the (assumed) specs for the job - I have no doubt that my wife will be rolling hers back and then I will know for sure if there is some kind of BS limitation that stops the original OS loading up that came with it. I doubt it though ... but would not be surprised.

At the end of the day - just go with what makes your PC run best. To be sure ... there will be millions who have no friggen idea - I sat with WIN7 and played the latest games and ran the high end editing programs years and years before I made the change to that freak show called windows 8 ... (after most the bugs where fixed) ... The change from Vista to Win 7 was much faster given how poorly Vista was ... most of us back then stuck with XP ...

Win 8 is not so bad now ---- takes a lot of time to set up without all that BS brainwashing crap I mentioned before, but once you can work out all that, its not so bad at all ---- I am personally hopping that 10 is more like 7 but with all the new advanced gleaned form 8 over the passing years. ... and none of the insulting BS plastered all over our start up screens. ( I like to remove mine altogether! - I have setup my Win8 like Win7 but still Win8)

Just my thoughts regarding the proposed upgrade to 10 -

Last edited by Ponder; 07-22-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

One finger or two?
    Agreed, Apple are the worst for allowing user freedom. Just look at IOS8! A lot of people with older devices had problems running it and decided to roll back to version 7. Apple put a stop to that and now your stuck with IOS8 whether you like it or not.

They want users to upgrade their devices rather than roll back their software.

Crafty!

Hi MiST, I am still editing my previous post -

Yea - The only thing I like about OSX or the apple OS (not sure how it goes these days) is the Linux feel. The programming is quite practical in terms of security and fluidity/trouble free OS navigation. I can't quite remember all the technical reasoning of why the program language of one system vs another makes it more practical than the other. Windows is more buggy but offers more freedom and I'm guessing evolving quicker. (but at a BS price that's slowly making me want to shift to Linux for good! - I think I will work my needs into one that frees me from the illusion of compatibility [separate to reality] ... sigh ... I not explain that one as I.)

I use to have a passion for the iPhone - But quickly got sick of it as they kept changing the model each year. It's great that the technology is evolving, but I never saw a real change other than the look and perhaps some of the apps. Samsung Galaxy have an issue with their latest phone the S6. It would appear many of the S5 holders simply do not see enough of a change to make the swap. Finally!!! I thinks to myself ... consumers are actually starting to think for themselves.

I won't hold my breath ... but sure would be good if we stopped just buying every time they come up with a new color.

The firmware updates on phones are becoming increasingly more like Handcuffs that not only run into conflicts with whatever apps - but dictate what cables you buy. The next firmware update from apple will dictate what earphones you use!

Hell - Manufacturers of certain hardware components now releasing games that will not work as efficient, unless you have their hardware installed. That's common knowledge with a lot of PC builders and gaming enthusiasts. Its sad that when one is cursing their forums on what Graphics updates one needs in order to play whatever; that it will all come down to the manufacturer of what Ram your using, let alone graphics card/s.

That may sound off topic, but it plays into the way in which we are all being played. The hardware we are sold, as too peripherals, cables and Accessories of all kinds are designed to keep us enslaved to branding. We give up on keeping up - on the complexity of it all, which results in people just believing in whatever the corporations tell us.

The way in which all this is done regarding technology ... seems quite the tool in understanding mass manipulation ... without the blame game of conspiracy.

Srry - I am not stable and tend to go off in all directions. But is good to speak about some of these things like so.

Time for a walk ... have a good day.
    Last edited by Ponder; 07-22-2015 at 03:56 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

My laptop will take it with no problem but the wife's pc is maxed. i have already added as much as i could. Hers is ready for a complete rebuild which i would love to do but i just do not have the funds. I have a spare pc that's just collecting dust because i do not have the funds for a rebuild. My dream of a super fast awesome gaming type pc with the neon is so far off i need the hubble to see it
    " it is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt ", Mark Twain.

Them days are over for me John - Smart phone with a mini projector is near good enough for me.