Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

I need help quick!!!!

I just started an amazing job today knocking on peoples doors and asking them about who they are voting for. It pays very well, and it's an amazing opportunity to try to lessen my anxiety. Today was my first day so I just walked alongside a more experienced person. The problem is that tomorrow I will have to go on my own and do this myself. I know through past experiences when I try to speak in situations like that my mind just freezes, I start shaking, and it becomes hard to breathe. I have a choice between calling in and turning down the job and resting in my room all day, or exhausting myself trying to calm myself down. Which should I do? I know I'll never get rid of my anxiety sitting in my room but I know tomorrow will just be physically and mentally exhausting. In a couple of weeks I am seeking professional help so should I cool it down for now or try to fix my anxiety myself? I will also be missing out on a great payday if I don't go I wish I could just do this stuff with no problems...

Maybe type/write down a script for what you will be saying and bring it with you? That way if you freeze you can refer to it and pick up where you left off.

In the long run, not taking the job might just make your anxiety worse. I say take a chance and go be a badass about it. You got this.
    "I've got 99 problems and 93 of them are completely made up scenarios in my head that I'm stressed about for absolutely no logical reason."

I would agree that a script would be cool. But I'd also tell people "Hi sorry if I appear nervous but I'm new to this and just want to do a GREAT job!" then go into your usual questions.

Practice some deep breathing as you walk up to the door. And if it were me I'd start with a joke. Making someone else smile ALWAYS makes things easier!

Good luck. Post here if I can be of help at all.

Tim JP Collins
    The Anxiety Breakthrough Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mrslizzyg View Post
    Maybe type/write down a script for what you will be saying and bring it with you? That way if you freeze you can refer to it and pick up where you left off.

In the long run, not taking the job might just make your anxiety worse. I say take a chance and go be a badass about it. You got this.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

As soon as you stop doing some things to lessen the anxiety, you tend to keep that pattern going

Fu*k it if you make a few mistakes at first. After you do it 3 times, you will be a pro

But please encourage people to vote Republican.
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe