Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

increased dosage of lexapro, increased anxiety?

I was originally on 10mg of lexapro for anxiety, the dosage began to work after 1 week. After the initial week the change was literaly instant, the dosage hit me like a freight train, 15 minutes after consumption (empty belly, no breakfast) i started to feel slight depersonalization, minor loss of balance, and the complete loss of anxiety. I couldn't worry, i tried to worry, it was impossible. This didnt last, and the side effects wore off in a matter of hours, and what followed was a month of pure tranquility with very minor pumps of anxiety. The next month (june) i missed my appointment with my psychiatrist and thus I no longer had my prescription, the anxiety slowly but surely returned. I rescheduled with my psychiatrist for the end of June. I asked him if he could up my dose to 20mg as i still had minor lapses of anxiety during the month of use. Now I am here. It's been about 2 weeks now, i take it every morning. I still feel anxious, last monday i even got a panic attack after reading some news article, which now that i remember was about some very minor incident that will never affect me. I also have minor bouts with depression and a general feeling of failure and worthlessness, somthing i haven't felt in a year since starting counseling. Before I was able to have random conversations with strangers and i even made new friends. Now I just lay all day in my bed scared out of my mind during the weekend, and scared out of my mind during school on the week days. What do you guys make out of all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gungas View Post
    I was originally on 10mg of lexapro for anxiety, the dosage began to work after 1 week. After the initial week the change was literaly instant, the dosage hit me like a freight train, 15 minutes after consumption (empty belly, no breakfast) i started to feel slight depersonalization, minor loss of balance, and the complete loss of anxiety. I couldn't worry, i tried to worry, it was impossible. This didnt last, and the side effects wore off in a matter of hours, and what followed was a month of pure tranquility with very minor pumps of anxiety. The next month (june) i missed my appointment with my psychiatrist and thus I no longer had my prescription, the anxiety slowly but surely returned. I rescheduled with my psychiatrist for the end of June. I asked him if he could up my dose to 20mg as i still had minor lapses of anxiety during the month of use. Now I am here. It's been about 2 weeks now, i take it every morning. I still feel anxious, last monday i even got a panic attack after reading some news article, which now that i remember was about some very minor incident that will never affect me. I also have minor bouts with depression and a general feeling of failure and worthlessness, somthing i haven't felt in a year since starting counseling. Before I was able to have random conversations with strangers and i even made new friends. Now I just lay all day in my bed scared out of my mind during the weekend, and scared out of my mind during school on the week days. What do you guys make out of all this?
    I'm on Lexapro now. Started April 14 and worked my way up to 15 mg then 20 mg just over two weeks ago. I've had significant improvements in anxiety and depression, but have had increased anxiety and depression with each dose increase. They normally have subsided within a couple of weeks, but I have been having more intense anxiety and depression the last few days. It's very frustrating. I can't really say if this is typical or normal or whether it will go away. I am seeing my GP on Thursday and will describe what's been happening. It would be so much nicer if it simply worked and there were no issues.