Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Speech Slurring, Dystharia, Really scared

About a month ago one night, I noticed that I was slurring certain words, and the muscles that control speech felt stiff. This has progressed over this last month and now It seems like when I try speaking to someone or holding a long conversation, It's very difficult to say every word correctly and the muscles start to feel weak or tired. I'm almost to the point where I just don't speak out of fear of messing up or because I can feel how it just feels off when I talk. Its pretty hard to speak to someone without the difficulty pronouncing what i'm saying or the weak feeling.

I don't feel any pain, just stiffness and like its hard to speak.

I'm terrified of something like ALS or MS, but when I look it up it seems there isn't really anything that isn't extremely serious that causes dystharia or slurred speech. I couldn't get in with a nuero for 3 months, so I'm stuck here assuming the worst.

Any advice from anyone? I have some other symptoms of Bulbar als like constant yawning, but the slurred speech is the worst.

Thank you to anyone that can help.
    Last edited by Cody Storch; 07-01-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Storch View Post
    About a month ago one night, I noticed that I was slurring certain words, and the muscles that control speech felt stiff. This has progressed over this last month and now It seems like when I try speaking to someone or holding a long conversation, It's very difficult to say every word correctly and the muscles start to feel weak or tired. I'm almost to the point where I just don't speak out of fear of messing up or because I can feel how it just feels off when I talk. Its pretty hard to speak to someone without the difficulty pronouncing what i'm saying or the weak feeling.

I don't feel any pain, just stiffness and like its hard to speak.

I'm terrified of something like ALS or MS, but when I look it up it seems there isn't really anything that isn't extremely serious that causes dystharia or slurred speech. I couldn't get in with a nuero for 3 months, so I'm stuck here assuming the worst.

Any advice from anyone? I have some other symptoms of Bulbar als like constant yawning, but the slurred speech is the worst.

Thank you to anyone that can help.
    Hello. Trying to diagnose yourself, using internet searches, is pretty much useless -- even though it is tempting. It won't yield an answer, but it will increase your anxiety. And obviously nobody here can diagnose you. We would just be guessing (which would be an irresponsible thing to do). Why will it take three months for you to see a neurologist? Where do you live? Can you push a bit to get in faster? Maybe ask if there is a waiting list, or a different neurologist, etc.? That is really what you need. Good luck.

Good advice from Kuma. Also, are you on any meds that could cause this?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    Good advice from Kuma. Also, are you on any meds that could cause this?

That is what is terrifying to me. I'm not on any meds. I also am experiencing full body muscle twitching (fasciculations). I am pretty upset over this, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for it and it's coming on slow but very noticeable. I know the ODDS of ALS are very slim, but these symptoms are pointing almost directly towards it. I live in utah, I've been asking everywhere and this is the earliest nuero I could find.

There really is nothing slight that can cause slurred speech. I am so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Storch View Post
    That is what is terrifying to me. I'm not on any meds. I also am experiencing full body muscle twitching (fasciculations). I am pretty upset over this, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for it and it's coming on slow but very noticeable. I know the ODDS of ALS are very slim, but these symptoms are pointing almost directly towards it. I live in utah, I've been asking everywhere and this is the earliest nuero I could find.

There really is nothing slight that can cause slurred speech. I am so scared.
    Have you tried calling here: http://healthcare.utah.edu/neurosciences/neurology/

Well I'm sure there are other things less serious that cause slurred speech. I reckon even anxiety could cause that and the twitching, if severe enough. Can you go see a normal doctor in the meantime?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer