Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Question Goodbye Citalopram, Hello Fluoxetine

Well, my doctor and myself have been searching for medication that catches on a bit better for me, just to take some of the pressure off when I go out into the big bad world (I'm agoraphobic for those of you that don't know me).
    Citalopram looked promising to start with slight improvements, but then the improvements halted. My understanding of why my panic attacks happen has improved, sometimes I can just sit through one and not give a damn about the symptoms. However, sometimes I get so disorientated and lost that I forget everything good I should be telling myself, more specifically "Whatever happens it is okay" or "It will pass" or "Its just your mind, just let it come".
    So to take the pressure of, and find something better, the doctor has decided to put me on Fluoxetine instead. She did not want to up the dose of Citalopram because of the possible side-effects, which I totally agree with btw. I don't want to be dependent on medication, but I do need something to take the edge of for now.

So, Fluoxetine. I don't have any expectations at this point and I'm more looking forward to the CBT treatment once MIND has worked their way through the waiting list. In the meantime I'm still stressing out about my holiday and even my doctor told me I looked more stressed than usual lol. Can you really blame me? Going out everyday in a strange place with strange people, it is an agoraphobics worst nightmare! I try to laugh about it, because being down because of it does not help me one little bit. I'm just taking it one step at the time. Will try to have fun no matter what.

Anyone have experience with fluoxetine? preferably someone with agoraphobia or GAD?

Thanks friends,
    xx

Fluoxetine and citalopram, an English doctor's favourite drugs.

Prozac (Fluoxetine) was an amazing drug for me. I was on it for about 8 weeks, but in those 8 weeks I became more proactive and had a greater zest for life. I was bedridden with anxiety/depression for months before taking it. It gave me this little twinge in my spine that made me want to get up and out the house. So I did. I went for coffees, went walking.

I had too many side effects on it though, like flu like symptoms and muscle weakness to really enjoy myself, so I had to quit. I just didn't get that same buzz from my next drug, citalopram.

I think you should get something out of it. If it agrees with you, I think it could be useful.

Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by jessed03 View Post
    Fluoxetine and citalopram, an English doctor's favourite drugs.

Prozac (Fluoxetine) was an amazing drug for me. I was on it for about 8 weeks, but in those 8 weeks I became more proactive and had a greater zest for life. I was bedridden with anxiety/depression for months before taking it. It gave me this little twinge in my spine that made me want to get up and out the house. So I did. I went for coffees, went walking.

I had too many side effects on it though, like flu like symptoms and muscle weakness to really enjoy myself, so I had to quit. I just didn't get that same buzz from my next drug, citalopram.

I think you should get something out of it. If it agrees with you, I think it could be useful.

Let us know how you get on.
    That sounds really great to me actually, not taken into account the side effects though. I'm hoping it will do the same for me and gives me one leg up to releasing that anxiety when Im out in the big bad world haha.
    Thanks for sharing I'll let you know how I fare. I can only start in July, since I need to come of Citalopram first.

Kind regards,
    Sandra

Yeah Fluoxetine was the first anti-depressant that worked for me and it worked a treat. Of all the SSRIs I've been on it's the most "zesty" (LOL) and made me really sociable after months of being a zombie. I just recently switched to it from Lexapro actually, because I wanted a change. I didn't come off the Lexapro either, just went straight onto the Fluoxetine (they have the same half-life apparently).
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    Yeah Fluoxetine was the first anti-depressant that worked for me and it worked a treat. Of all the SSRIs I've been on it's the most "zesty" (LOL) and made me really sociable after months of being a zombie. I just recently switched to it from Lexapro actually, because I wanted a change. I didn't come off the Lexapro either, just went straight onto the Fluoxetine (they have the same half-life apparently).
    I'm quite hopeful now that I hear a few positives on a medication. Even though I have no more anxiety at home, panic attacks outside the home and anticipating panic attacks are still a big problem for me. I still need to fully let go of the fear for panic, once I can do that, I think I'll be cured Either way, I'm hoping the medication can give me a little extra bravery again, one gets tired of trying after some time.

Hope it works for you. If for some reason it doesn't, another possible is Lyrica. It is now prescribed in Europe for GAD. Have read many success stories on it.

I take it for nerve related pain, but any remaining bits of anxiety I would get are Poof! Gone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by needtogetwell View Post
    Hope it works for you. If for some reason it doesn't, another possible is Lyrica. It is now prescribed in Europe for GAD. Have read many success stories on it.

I take it for nerve related pain, but any remaining bits of anxiety I would get are Poof! Gone!!!
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll write it down in case Fluoxetine does not work for me.

Kind regards,
    Kixxi

My doctor has prescribed me Fluoxetine but I haven't started taking it yet. Of course being the anxious person I am I looked up everything I could find on the drug and the side effects were really scary to me. I am already having some cardiac problems such as palpitations and such and thinking that this drug could make it worse worries me. I see my cardiologist tomorrow to hopefully find out some results of the tests that I have taking and I am going to ask her what she thinks about this drug and its affect on the cardio system. To top thing off, I am a psych nurse going on 10 years and I have seen the wonderful things that many of these drugs have done for people, I don't know why it is so hard to see that it could maybe help me as well..