Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Anxiety=High IQ??

This article I found links social anxiety to a high iq and GAD with high scores on verbal intelligence tests. Thoughts?

http://themindunleashed.org/2015/05/...abilities.html

Quote Originally Posted by superchick22684 View Post
    This article I found links social anxiety to a high iq and GAD with high scores on verbal intelligence tests. Thoughts?

http://themindunleashed.org/2015/05/...abilities.html
    I truly believe that. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I notice those qualities in myself.

I was tested at 136, but that was when I was about ten. No idea if it's gone up or down in the past 27 years or so. Having said that, I can't think of too many people I'd classify as being "dense" suffering from social anxiety. Most people I've met with this problem seem relatively intelligent. Dunno if it's a universal fact or not though.

In a similar way that “ignorance is bliss,” it can be said that awareness is torture. Indeed, being sensitive to and aware of everything and everyone can be overwhelming, and the mind, seeking to protect itself from this intense experience, creates this kind of mental disorder. ThIS!!
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    In a similar way that “ignorance is bliss,” it can be said that awareness is torture. Indeed, being sensitive to and aware of everything and everyone can be overwhelming, and the mind, seeking to protect itself from this intense experience, creates this kind of mental disorder. ThIS!!
    Very nicely put Dahl.
    " it is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt ", Mark Twain.

I also agree. Normally a higher IQ means anxiety, depression, inactivity and general unhapyness

So I have a high IQ.

hmm..
    Last edited by Anders_EFT; 07-10-2018 at 06:03 AM.

I've definitely heard this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    Depending on the day and frame of mind, I either do very well or fail miserably on those online tests. You said it well! "awareness is torture". It is only because of this pain and suffering that I've become eyes wide open (possibly hyper-aware), so maybe it was a blessing or gift. Torture would be the right word. I don't even think I could go back to bliss at this point.