Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The empathy part is a given for sure. The entire principle of anxiety rests not necessarily on what others think of you, but how others are impacted by your decisions. At least, that's how I feel about it. As for the high IQ part, this is often linked to autism, i.e., a condition with severe social ailments (both Albert Einstein and Alan Turing have been suspected of having this condition).

As for myself, I'd like to think that I am more than just average intellect but I can't say for certain. Either way, IQ does not often measure intelligence particularly well. It misses many factors. With that in mind, it is still the most efficient method but I personally believe it must be revised.

M

Social Anxiety High IQ

Hi and welcome. It must be terribly hard having your kind of job which is very social and then suffering from your condition. I myself dont do well socially. Use to hate to go to the baby showers, birthday parties. Now I am not so self conscious but dont feel obligated to do any of those things if I dont want to.

I have heard of depression being genetic but I have never heard of "genetic depression" so had to look it up.

Social Anxiety High IQ

I have always had anxiety...along with chronic depression. My psychiatrist calls it "genetic depression." I am taking meds for both and they do help. However, I still have anxiety/panic attacks. I am a teacher and had 2 attacks last school year where I had to be driven to my doctor.

Anyway, my biggest area of anxiety is Social. I feel that I have a real problem with Social Anxiety. It is GREAT concern to me that the social anxiety will overtake me and I will be more and more reclusive the older I get.

Does anyone else struggle with this?