Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
Here's what I wrote about it:

"My whole thing is social phobia. I guess the key to phobias is exposure, which basically means you desensitise yourself to whatever it is by facing it. So with social phobia it means being around people no matter how anxious about it you feel. I've gone through times where I find it terrifying to leave the house, but I didn't have anyone else who could get me things, so I had no choice (which is a good thing). What I'd do is wait until it got dark (because I feel less freaked out at night and there are less people around) and drive to the supermarket. I'd even go specifically to the supermarkets with self checkouts. That would be the extent of my "social life" and I'd make myself do it even if I didn't really need anything because if I missed a trip to the supermarket it'd be worse the next day. Then I'd go to say a shopping mall on days I was feeling strong enough. Sometimes I'd just sit outside and smoke a cigarette and look at people and notice how they pay no attention to me whatsoever (because the whole thing with social anxiety is being self-conscious and thinking you will embarrass yourself somehow).

I don't think I'll ever be completely over this phobia but yeah that's how I deal with it when its bad. I also have a phobia of spiders (I live in Australia so we have big ass spiders who get inside your house and car). That phobia is a whole different ballgame and I have strategies like spraying citrus oil in my car and checking under the sun visors before I drive off lol."
It's a little comforting to know that I'm not the only one going through it. Just like you, I also feel a lot more comfortable at night.
I tend to stay in more and avoid going out, given the fear I experience when I do go out. But you are absolutely right, if you stop going out at one point, it does get worse again. I noticed after a week of holiday, constantly going out, my agoraphobia went from a 9/10 to a 2/10. Also during the holiday, we tend to go with public transport, which is not my idea of a safe place. I do realise it is all in my head and that it eventually will pass. I'm going on holiday again in three weeks, so I will grin and bear the anxiety until it dies down

Oh and a fear of spiders I can totally understand when you live in Australia You have some big ass spiders over there

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I really appreciate it.