Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funky Symptom

Lightbulb Funky Symptom

A while ago I decided to go out no matter what, no matter how bad the fear is getting. I decided to just do it and stop letting this "thing" control my life.
    On the downside, I developed this lovely side-effect called psychosomatic seizures (after a good 5 visits with the doctor), where my body just shuts down because it cannot handle it any more. The problem is that I am still fighting my anxiety, instead of just letting it happen and be nicer to myself. I'm still trying to control it, especially when there is a good amount of people around me. Any tips for me?

Can you explain these seizures? What actually happens?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Well, first I get a fizzy feeling in my head. Then my vision goes blurry and all my muscles go limb. I fall over and then regain control again in 5-6 seconds.
    The doctor had some tests done just to make sure, but she pretty much said from the start that it was probably psychosomatic seizures. They took my blood and an ECG, but all normal.
    Even though it is nothing serious, it is very annoying and embarrassing lol.

I read in one of your posts about the diaphragm breathing, which I try to do whenever I get a panic attack. Was this something that made the difference for your anxiety?

Thanks in advance
    xx

What the medical community does not recognize is that whether physical (epileptic or so called abnormal electrical charges), or psychological the stresses are always repression (suppressed) _of emotional energies. The fight itself to press on - that decision (without sufficient clearing) was enough to bring on these 'episodes'. For you, it's about letting go (there would then be no fight, just a 'normal' life). But you haven't done any full releases. Meaning you've conceptualized the problems but not released their energies (grip). The intent would be to do that, if not it's for naught.

It is not the recall of the issues (hurt memories) that causes this problem, but the pent energies behind them. An 'attack' (epileptic or psychosomatic) is a representation of a semi-release, but not a conscious one, which would heal.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 06-02-2015 at 11:07 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

Quote Originally Posted by Im-Suffering View Post
    What the medical community does not recognize is that whether physical (epileptic or so called abnormal electrical charges), or psychological the stresses are always repression (suppressed) _of emotional energies. The fight itself to press on - that decision (without sufficient clearing) was enough to bring on these 'episodes'. For you, it's about letting go (there would then be no fight, just a 'normal' life). But you haven't done any full releases. Meaning you've conceptualized the problems but not released their energies (grip). The intent would be to do that, if not it's for naught.
    I totally agree with you. I have problems letting go and just letting "it" happen. Maybe some part of me is still afraid of the panic symptoms? Do you have any tips for me so I can fully let go in these situations? I will not let it win, I won't let it win.
    What you are saying is really powerful and I really agree with you. The more you fight it, the worse it becomes. Having a need for control and perfection certainly gives my anxiety more control over me, so anything you could tell me about letting go would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    xxx

It won't win, period. But, remember, 'it' is 'you'. It would help you to recognize this. Give me a few minutes I will return and edit this.

Some of it is fear for the sake of it. Some deeper.

What releases have you done? Any with your dad for example. There is a clear difference between regurgitating past events ad-nauseum for the 'sake of brooding' and actually healing releasing the traumatic events or experiences. One is intellectual trying to reason it out, and the other full blown emotional, letting it all out, and go, replaced by an epiphany of who you are, you see? There is always a new story, a new way to see self, and you feel good from it. You believe it. The emotional release created it.

Back depending if you have questions.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 06-02-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

I don't think I've let go what happened with my dad. I still harbour a lot of anger for him and for some reason I keep on contacting him hoping to get some type of relationship with my dad. Obviously he does not care, he's more interested in his new family and his mistress. He treats them so nice, while he used to hit me and emotionally put me down on a daily basis. It still makes me angry, I get flashbacks as well and feel useless afterwards. It's probably a big contribution.

I do not really know how to let go of that, how to stop being angry. I'm to afraid to confront him again, there is no point because he does not care and has no emotion around it. Hence I do not get the response I would want. I tried to cut him out of my life, but then I feel guilty for doing so. How do I emotionally and intellectually let go of that time in my life?

There are also other things I would like to let go off, for example the obvious problem, just letting go of the panic attacks. Intellectually I am aware of what is happening, but then it takes over completely and all logic goes out the window. I know it is "me" doing it, my thinking. Sometimes being aware of that has helped me, unfortunately it is programmed in my mind so much it is very difficult to let go of that "programmed knowledge".

Any tips for both issues on how to do these releases?

Thanks in advance
    xx

Everything is related and woven together.

We have worked with many people (hundreds over the years) and I gave you a simple release exercise in the other thread.

It's not about him, or anyone else, only you. The only chance so to speak of a relationship in the future, is if you change, you see? Opening the psychological door that has been closed because of the current emotions.

The child exercise will get you in touch with feelings and buried pain that you can then release. You want to go back in time with her, because the adults perspective is what she needs to alter her beliefs.

All you wanted was love (still want). The pain is the separation felt from it. So healing involves always a return to a loving state.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 06-02-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Copy paste here from the other thread. If you need more let me know. I've rushed it a bit, my eyes are blurring from overwork. I hope you get the concept.

Short exercise:

I want you to become that little girl again, recount from her perspective what she was thinking at home and with her interactions with mom and dad. I want you to hold her, in your imagination, as she cries and expresses all of those hurts about being not good enough. Tell her you love her. Because she felt unlovable. And this is the cause of it all. She is inside you, she is the one showing you all these emotions that you feel. She is making you feel them.

You must cry together, heal all of the false ideas and beliefs about you and the world. Her stories will play back like movies to the inception of the pain, and that is what you must face. You must find that. And that once let go will heal you.

This is an exercise for maybe 15 minutes a day.

If you release fully you will have an epiphany, and sleep. You won't ever have to 'force' confidence or conceptualize a way to feel, you will just be living it. That's what a release does, you come out feeling the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxi View Post
    Well, first I get a fizzy feeling in my head. Then my vision goes blurry and all my muscles go limb. I fall over and then regain control again in 5-6 seconds.
    The doctor had some tests done just to make sure, but she pretty much said from the start that it was probably psychosomatic seizures. They took my blood and an ECG, but all normal.
    Even though it is nothing serious, it is very annoying and embarrassing lol.

I read in one of your posts about the diaphragm breathing, which I try to do whenever I get a panic attack. Was this something that made the difference for your anxiety?

Thanks in advance
    xx
    Absolutely. I actually did it last night because I was trying to fall asleep (I was anxious) and it worked. If I could teach people with anxiety only one thing it would be diaphragmatic breathing. It does take a while to get the hang of though. Have a look at a picture of what the diaphragm actually looks like then you can visualise what it's doing as you breathe. When you breathe correctly you stimulate the sympathetic nervous system, which is not working properly when you're anxious because the parasympathetic is in overdrive. It basically thinks you will be attacked by a bear if you fall asleep. So what I do is focus on my breathing and calming the nervous system. It's not some magic bullet and I've had to practice, but I've found it really does work.

P.S. Another thing you can do is sing. When you sing you naturally breathe with your diaphragm. I do it mainly when I'm driving and I get very anxious. Music takes the focus off your anxiety and singing works the diaphragm.
    Last edited by gypsylee; 06-02-2015 at 07:42 PM.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer