Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Is it better to be diagnosed with a mental disorder or not?

For a while now I've been wondering if it would help me if I were to be diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (which I am fairly confident I have and have been told so by various psychiatrists), or if it would be better to simply try to overcome my anxieties with therapy and medication. I am planning to attend college in the fall of 2016, and fittingly I wish to pursue a degree in Psychology, but I have a lot of trouble with schoolwork and sometimes with everyday activities because of obsessions and compulsions. As a result of these things, I don't know whether getting an official diagnosis would be a good thing or a bad thing. Are there any users here with OCD or any other mental disorder who have firsthand experience of receiving a diagnosis? If so, do you feel like your diagnosis assists you more in life than if you didn't have one? I often feel that this might be true, although I'm still afraid that there would be a huge stigma put upon me and that I wouldn't be able to become anything like a psychologist if I myself officially have a mental disorder.

Ugh, I feel as if I'm in quite a conundrum and never have anyone to talk to about this sort of stuff...except some people on this site hopefully. So any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!

I don't really have any experience with this.. But you mentioned if you would still get a job while being diagnosed with a mental disorder.. I don't see why not. I know many recovering drug addicts who have been clean for years & are now working in rehabs being drug & alcohol counsellors. & of course, who would know people with mental disorders better than someone who has suffered before? I personally would feel better with someone who had once lived my life & knew exactly what I felt.. I hope that helps!

If you're worried about school work, get an official diagnosis. It'll help you with any college paperwork if you get into difficulty. It'll even help you get a few extra pity days on assignments if need be (or if you have a hangover, but shhh, Jesse didn't tell you that). Colleges and even jobs will usually try to work around your condition if you're open about it.

As far as needing a diagnosis to get better: I don't believe that's necessary. OCD, GAD, panic attacks, hypochondria, etc, etc, are all just branches of anxiety. They're all different symptoms of one condition. Because these symptoms can change frequently, getting an official concrete diagnosis doesn't really solve much in that regard; the diagnosis is just good to have for official business.

I ended up dropping out of college because of my anxiety. It was undiagnosed at the time, so I just looked like a lazy mess. If I'd have had something from my doctor, I could have worked with the institution to reach an outcome that benefited us both. Even though I like my life now, that'll be something I'll feel great regret for the rest of my days.
    Last edited by jessed03; 05-31-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoriginalUsername View Post
    For a while now I've been wondering if it would help me if I were to be diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (which I am fairly confident I have and have been told so by various psychiatrists), or if it would be better to simply try to overcome my anxieties with therapy and medication. I am planning to attend college in the fall of 2016, and fittingly I wish to pursue a degree in Psychology, but I have a lot of trouble with schoolwork and sometimes with everyday activities because of obsessions and compulsions. As a result of these things, I don't know whether getting an official diagnosis would be a good thing or a bad thing. Are there any users here with OCD or any other mental disorder who have firsthand experience of receiving a diagnosis? If so, do you feel like your diagnosis assists you more in life than if you didn't have one? I often feel that this might be true, although I'm still afraid that there would be a huge stigma put upon me and that I wouldn't be able to become anything like a psychologist if I myself officially have a mental disorder.

Ugh, I feel as if I'm in quite a conundrum and never have anyone to talk to about this sort of stuff...except some people on this site hopefully. So any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!
    My official diagnosis is Major Depression (in 1993). I think it does help to have a diagnosis but beware of misdiagnoses. I mean my psych kept wanting to diagnose me with Bipolar II and put me on anti-psychotics, which is common I think, and dangerous. So it's not a clear cut issue where you get this diagnosis that is absolutely correct and doesn't change. There's another thread around here by sae where she talks about having a list of diagnoses, and others who have the same. So yeah just be careful.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Heh, yeah. I am currently under scrutiny by a small team of head doctors that really don't know what to do with me yet. I had an appointment with the neurologist last week for an MRI. Not fun when you have to walk through a foot of water to get in the building. Yay
    To be honest, I initially thought being diagnosed clearly would alleviate how I felt, but so far it seems to have instead opened up a treasure trove of new concerns. It may also be made difficult because I am seeking counselling and therapy in lieu of SSRI'S or mood stabilizers. I have a feeling my head doctor is ready to strangle me at this point.
    A diagnosis doesn't change who you are, it just helps direct you in getting the help you need.

Hmmmm.

From a social work perspective, I abhorred the paper trail that some of my kids (clients) had. They would be no more than thirteen, with 10+ behavioral diagnoses. Often times, most of these diagnoses were never very accurate.

Two things about that -

Yes, it helped get them places. It aided to keep them out of trouble. Insurance companies were more willing to provide money, etc. So, in a operational viewpoint, it had it's benefits.

However, It was tough to see how those kids began to identify with their diagnostics. It became them. There was a stigma
    as well, and they eventually identified with that too.

As others have said YOU are not your diagnosis. And if time goes on and there is no progress in your healing, it can be hard to remember that.

So, I guess it comes down to what your motivation for a diagnosis is. As Sae said, it isn't going to bring an influx of clarity into your life, YOU still have to do the work. But, if you need perspective, and a place to begin, it isn't a bad route.

Just make sure to remember who you are - always.

The first step toward recovery is knowing what you have. The sooner you find out that you have something, the sooner you can get treatment for it.

I think having an official diagnosis can be helpful when in comes to insurance but I don't think its 100% necessary to have a diagnosis to get better (as a few other people stated before me). Back when I first started having anxiety (2006) I felt better knowing exactly what I had so I went through an evaluation and received the official diagnosis of Panic Disorder and Dysthymia (chronic depression). I haven't been evaluated since then but have inquired about getting re-evaluated.

I don't really feel like having the diagnosis has assisted me with anything other than insurance stuff.

As for having a diagnosis keeping you from having the ability to be a psychologist, I wouldn't think that would be a disadvantage. If you happen to have a disorder I would think it would help you to better to relate to your patients which in turn would give you an advantage in your field. One day when I was having a bad day and expressing issues with how much I hated my meds (long story) one of my previous therapists actually told me that most of the therapists working in that office were on antidepressants for varying reasons. It kind of took me by surprise but it did make me feel better. One of my ex-boyfriends has his social work certification and happens to have OCD as well. Not that its being a psychologist but there are people that work as drug counselors that have previously dealt with addiction.

Don't let the possibility that you have a disorder be the reason that you decide not to pursue something.

Thanks, guys!!!!!! I'm glad many of you think that there's still hope for me to be a psychologist while coping with my own problems -- thats very reassuring. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if getting a diagnosis will be the best thing for me; I'll probably see what my therapist thinks the next time I have an appointment.

And yeah, I don't know if my asking if getting a diagnosis would help me to get better was really a good way of putting it. I just meant like having things such as schoolwork become more able to accommodate my needs. I tend to get extra time on a lot of tests in school but don't officially have an IEP plan or anything, so I feel like when I go to college all the teachers will tell me "You don't have any reason to get extra time," and I'll never get to finish any work. Hahaha, I know that's the worst case scenerio but...

Quote Originally Posted by UnoriginalUsername View Post
    Thanks, guys!!!!!! I'm glad many of you think that there's still hope for me to be a psychologist while coping with my own problems -- thats very reassuring. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if getting a diagnosis will be the best thing for me; I'll probably see what my therapist thinks the next time I have an appointment.

And yeah, I don't know if my asking if getting a diagnosis would help me to get better was really a good way of putting it. I just meant like having things such as schoolwork become more able to accommodate my needs. I tend to get extra time on a lot of tests in school but don't officially have an IEP plan or anything, so I feel like when I go to college all the teachers will tell me "You don't have any reason to get extra time," and I'll never get to finish any work. Hahaha, I know that's the worst case scenerio but...
    I kind of skipped over the would you be able to be a psychologist part.

I agree that going through issues yourself provides invaluable insight for healing others.

Also, in school, they would always say, "Every good counselor gets therapy himself before giving it to others."

Everyone has their own issues they need to work through.