Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Anxiety and Depression: A Dewdrop on Wilting Grass

Hello, friends I am new here. Although, this site is no stranger to me as I’ve already been reading some forums before which I must say help me in a way and make me feel less alone whenever I am so drained that I seek help from the most trusted one who, by the way, usually leads me here—Google. So, I am a seventeen-year-old girl from the Philippines, a country where the sun always shines yet makes so little sense to my gloomy life. Young and depressed. I think it all started when I entered college and I was only fourteen then, turning fifteen just a month after the class opening. You could hear Tadashi Hamada here saying “Wow, washed up at fourteen.” Just so you know, students here normally reach college at the age of sixteen or seventeen but I was once accelerated in elementary which explains the early age. Heck WAS I gifted. Freshman year was a total blur to me. First weeks, I had no idea on how to get along with new people and strive academically. I’ve been into different peer groups in our block and I could not just fit in because I am seriously a very awkward person. I always wondered how easy it was for them to interact with each other like they were already friends for years while I freeze, pretending to laugh with them on jokes I actually did not find humorous at all that made me miss terribly my funny highschool friends. I was so stiff and never contributed to their fun atmosphere so I thought it was excruciating and I’d rather be alone. I was a loner and I did not care even when some classmates judgingly looked at me when they saw that I am with no one. It was better, though. Being alone. I had a hard time motivating myself to attend my classes, I was either late or absent. I hated my university because I saw it as very boring and not so reputable. The facilities were even not that pleasant. We would be sitting in rusty armchairs while we sweat for hours in a poorly ventilated classroom. I was not supposed to be in that university, in the first place. I was so sure during highschool that I would spend my college years in the university that I’ve always wanted because that’s what my mom said. Besides, she was the first person to make me never wish to be in this university where I am at now for some reasons which is why I was so angry and frustrated when she eventually decided for me to be here. It was so embarassing to my highschool classmates when they found out about it as they were actually also excited for me. Ridiculous! I did not even take the admission test with them because there were really no plans of me studying here. I eventually just got in because our neighbor was a professor from this university so she helped me since I was an honor student from highschool, anyway. I never knew the feeling of passing an entrance exam and it kind of affected my esteem. I could not help but fantasize my college life in my dream university. But as for now, I am over it. I liked then my minor subjects and had good grades considering my absences while ironically, I hated my only major subject so I thought of transferring with a different course. My mom picked my own course, by the way. It’s a pre-med course because she dreams of me being in med school after and although I knew it did not interest me so much, I gave it a chance because I thought college was different. I thought it would help me appreciate Science but boy was I wrong. I felt dumb. I knew nothing, had so tiny stock knowledge in Science when they require you so much. I felt like I was being left out. Science is so vast I did not know how to catch up and if I would ever even be able to do so as scientific information just continuously grow. I would complain to my mother but it was so apparent that she thought I was being just a drama queen. I hated everything about my life. I cursed my highschool for not being so competetive, blaming it for my lack of knowledge and skills. I always longed to be my old self when I was just carefree and smart. I’d just lock up myself in my room, with no lights on and experienced living a life through the characters in the e-books I read on my phone. I shut people out even my high school friends. When the second semester came, I finally had a group where I fit in. It was weird you know, they are really fun to be with but I could not feel happiness. I have forgotten what it felt to be happy. Second year was nothing unusual, I made myself believe that I am not depressed even though I still obviously am. I never had the mood to talk with my family and was so apathetic to almost everything. Then people at school finally saw something good in me. They thought I was good in writing when I became a part of our college publication and I was thrilled at first but got fed up about it soon. I was passionate but my articles were never released due to lack of funds so I regret it and wished I had the courage to have applied in our university publication, instead. I also won in an essay writing contest but I was not so happy about it. Everytime I do something good, I feel like things just happened by chance and when I do horrible things, I hate myself even more. I have a long list for self-deprecation moments. Third year, I acted so happy and contented until I stopped pretending at the end of the sem. Now, it is summer and I am doing my internship in a company for college requirement. I do and say the most stupid things, believe me. My anxiety makes things worse. My head is so foggy and I am starting to believe that I am literally getting stupid. I am so impractical and lack common sense. I don’t know what would happen to me. I am so tired of my life. I will be in my fourth year and will be turning eighteen but I am afraid, my life would still make no sense to me. I’ve always wanted to seek help from a psychiatrist and have therapy but my mom would just suggest me to read the Bible. I have nothing against it but I just think I really need mental help from the professionals but sadly, I don’t think we can even afford that. And on top of all of this, I get these silly romantic delusions with my first love. I could not get over him when we never even had a relationship. I usually find myself thinking of him but whenever I see him around the campus I’d do all the means for him to not see me. You see, I am also an average-looking skinny girl afflicted with acne vulgaris so probably, I just do not want him to see the pus-filled zits on my face. Talk about some fortune, right? I am not pretty, fit, smart, talented, and good-natured. Wow. So tell me, have you ever felt so insignificant you’d rather be just a dewdrop on wilting grass? I have. Every. damn. single. time.
    Last edited by dewdroponwiltinggrass; 05-02-2015 at 03:42 AM.

Hello and welcome to the forum

I haven't read your whole post sorry..

Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I have not read it all either (it is hard for me to make time to read long introductory posts), but I join Gyp in welcoming you.
    Last edited by Kuma; 05-04-2015 at 06:59 PM.

I read your whole post since I am not as lazy as Gypsy and kuma. ��

You've simply developed an anxiety disorder. The specifics aren't relevant

The key is to find out what set this all in motion

Find ways to get beyond the anxiety symptoms until you can get to the root cause

Quote Originally Posted by NixonRulz View Post
    I read your whole post since I am not as lazy as Gypsy and kuma. 😆

You've simply developed an anxiety disorder. The specifics aren't relevant

The key is to find out what set this all in motion

Find ways to get beyond the anxiety symptoms until you can get to the root cause

I figured I was wrong on thinking that people here might actually appreciate detailed stories and have the time to talk with me. I understand that my blabbing was nonsense, though. I just assumed. Thank you, Nixon! You rule. I am still trying to find out how I'll get through this.

Quote Originally Posted by dewdroponwiltinggrass View Post
    Hello, friends I am new here. Although, this site is no stranger to me as I’ve already been reading some forums before which I must say help me in a way and make me feel less alone whenever I am so drained that I seek help from the most trusted one who, by the way, usually leads me here—Google. So, I am a seventeen-year-old girl from the Philippines, a country where the sun always shines yet makes so little sense to my gloomy life. Young and depressed. I think it all started when I entered college and I was only fourteen then, turning fifteen just a month after the class opening. You could hear Tadashi Hamada here saying “Wow, washed up at fourteen.” Just so you know, students here normally reach college at the age of sixteen or seventeen but I was once accelerated in elementary which explains the early age. Heck WAS I gifted. Freshman year was a total blur to me. First weeks, I had no idea on how to get along with new people and strive academically. I’ve been into different peer groups in our block and I could not just fit in because I am seriously a very awkward person. I always wondered how easy it was for them to interact with each other like they were already friends for years while I freeze, pretending to laugh with them on jokes I actually did not find humorous at all that made me miss terribly my funny highschool friends. I was so stiff and never contributed to their fun atmosphere so I thought it was excruciating and I’d rather be alone. I was a loner and I did not care even when some classmates judgingly looked at me when they saw that I am with no one. It was better, though. Being alone. I had a hard time motivating myself to attend my classes, I was either late or absent. I hated my university because I saw it as very boring and not so reputable. The facilities were even not that pleasant. We would be sitting in rusty armchairs while we sweat for hours in a poorly ventilated classroom. I was not supposed to be in that university, in the first place. I was so sure during highschool that I would spend my college years in the university that I’ve always wanted because that’s what my mom said. Besides, she was the first person to make me never wish to be in this university where I am at now for some reasons which is why I was so angry and frustrated when she eventually decided for me to be here. It was so embarassing to my highschool classmates when they found out about it as they were actually also excited for me. Ridiculous! I did not even take the admission test with them because there were really no plans of me studying here. I eventually just got in because our neighbor was a professor from this university so she helped me since I was an honor student from highschool, anyway. I never knew the feeling of passing an entrance exam and it kind of affected my esteem. I could not help but fantasize my college life in my dream university. But as for now, I am over it. I liked then my minor subjects and had good grades considering my absences while ironically, I hated my only major subject so I thought of transferring with a different course. My mom picked my own course, by the way. It’s a pre-med course because she dreams of me being in med school after and although I knew it did not interest me so much, I gave it a chance because I thought college was different. I thought it would help me appreciate Science but boy was I wrong. I felt dumb. I knew nothing, had so tiny stock knowledge in Science when they require you so much. I felt like I was being left out. Science is so vast I did not know how to catch up and if I would ever even be able to do so as scientific information just continuously grow. I would complain to my mother but it was so apparent that she thought I was being just a drama queen. I hated everything about my life. I cursed my highschool for not being so competetive, blaming it for my lack of knowledge and skills. I always longed to be my old self when I was just carefree and smart. I’d just lock up myself in my room, with no lights on and experienced living a life through the characters in the e-books I read on my phone. I shut people out even my high school friends. When the second semester came, I finally had a group where I fit in. It was weird you know, they are really fun to be with but I could not feel happiness. I have forgotten what it felt to be happy. Second year was nothing unusual, I made myself believe that I am not depressed even though I still obviously am. I never had the mood to talk with my family and was so apathetic to almost everything. Then people at school finally saw something good in me. They thought I was good in writing when I became a part of our college publication and I was thrilled at first but got fed up about it soon. I was passionate but my articles were never released due to lack of funds so I regret it and wished I had the courage to have applied in our university publication, instead. I also won in an essay writing contest but I was not so happy about it. Everytime I do something good, I feel like things just happened by chance and when I do horrible things, I hate myself even more. I have a long list for self-deprecation moments. Third year, I acted so happy and contented until I stopped pretending at the end of the sem. Now, it is summer and I am doing my internship in a company for college requirement. I do and say the most stupid things, believe me. My anxiety makes things worse. My head is so foggy and I am starting to believe that I am literally getting stupid. I am so impractical and lack common sense. I don’t know what would happen to me. I am so tired of my life. I will be in my fourth year and will be turning eighteen but I am afraid, my life would still make no sense to me. I’ve always wanted to seek help from a psychiatrist and have therapy but my mom would just suggest me to read the Bible. I have nothing against it but I just think I really need mental help from the professionals but sadly, I don’t think we can even afford that. And on top of all of this, I get these silly romantic delusions with my first love. I could not get over him when we never even had a relationship. I usually find myself thinking of him but whenever I see him around the campus I’d do all the means for him to not see me. You see, I am also an average-looking skinny girl afflicted with acne vulgaris so probably, I just do not want him to see the pus-filled zits on my face. Talk about some fortune, right? I am not pretty, fit, smart, talented, and good-natured. Wow. So tell me, have you ever felt so insignificant you’d rather be just a dewdrop on wilting grass? I have. Every. damn. single. time.
    Hello! That was a doozie of a paragraph but it helped me better understand how you are feeling, thank you for sharing.

Anxiety presents real physical symptoms. Anxiety can control you if you let it. Don't let it. When I had bad anxiety I would forget things very easily, and if I were in a conversation, I would hear the words of the person, but not understand a word they were saying. This is because your mind is racing much faster than you know. Your mind is moving in a thousand directions because it believes it's in a panic mode.

Your symptoms are very common with anxiety and depression. You are not alone! I never suffered from depression, however I had SEVERE anxiety which developed into social anxiety, so I can relate to some of your stories regarding distancing family and friends.

There's one part of your story I want to confirm.

What country are you from? If you live in the United States, you can seek health care for very cheap. There are numerous clinics in every state that offer free sessions. These sessions are NOT psychologists who can prescribe pills, but they are people to talk to that can help you throughout your problems. There is always someone to talk even if you are low on money.

You are not alone. And remember, if you ever have an anxiety attack, know that you've survived 100% of your attacks. You are undefeated against your anxiety!

How cute is this ?

Quote Originally Posted by dewdroponwiltinggrass View Post

I figured I was wrong on thinking that people here might actually appreciate detailed stories and have the time to talk with me.

I understand that my blabbing was nonsense, though. I just assumed.

Thank you, Nixon! You rule. I am still trying to find out how I'll get through this.

You'll get through this, by being you. How else?
    Nice reply av1988.

Congratulations on having the post with the most - self deprecating content i have ever seen DewDrop ! And also the cutest, most sincere, charismatic person ive come across. Very stylish writing, in a negative way, but endearing. The lack of paragraphs, and the typographical emphasis (purposefully) makes it, and you all the more lovable.

Sure you have a flair for the drama. Everything is so over the top in your life you cant stand it.

You actually hate being you to such an extent that you wind up in love with yourself.

Keep up the writing, study literature and take side classes from anywhere teaching you anything and everything about it - join local authors groups, writing groups have fun ! You know you love it ! Jump in the deep end.

Once you find your place in the world, all else will make sense. Inner beauty attracts people to you, so keep an eye open. Among all the self hate in words and descriptives - radiates a beautiful spirit within. This radiating inner person-hood overshadows whatever is perceived as a lack in either appearance or spoken word/thought.

Let go of dogma associated with religion, live (find) your own code of ethics, you see. Examine your value judgments about who you are and the ideology taught to you about the world and your place in it. Release any false ideas in the mix or beliefs that make you feel badly about you.

You are not innately sinful or somehow defective - the religious starting point of 'born sinful' supposes a life long journey to get out of some hell that you were born into, that the person you are is not good enough - you see. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, you must believe that as deeply as you believe it is true. Regardless of which or both parents whose influence instilled these ideas about reality. Parents are not god's, even though they might as well be.

Hint: Whenever you feel bad, that feeling is only there to let you know it leads to a false belief, that once released/healed, you can feel good ! Do you understand?

Now, develop your own self and personal power, by acting as if - you are already in possession of every characteristic you wish you had. Beauty, charm, grace, love, wealth, health..

Good. End of post.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 05-06-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

Quote Originally Posted by Im-Suffering View Post
    How cute is this ?

Nice reply av1988.

Congratulations on having the post with the most - self deprecation content i have ever seen DewDrop ! And also the cutest, most sincere, charismatic person ive come across. Very stylish writing, in a negative way, but endearing. The lack of paragraphs, and the typographical emphasis (purposefully) makes it and you all the more lovable.

Sure you have a flair for the drama.

You actually hate being you to such an extent that you wind up in love with yourself.

Keep up the writing, study literature and take side classes from anywhere teaching you anything and everything about it - join local authors groups, writing groups have fun ! You know you love it ! Jump in the deep end.

Once you find your place in the world, all else will make sense. Inner beauty attracts people to you, so keep an eye open. Among all the self hate in words and descriptives - radiates a beautiful spirit within. This radiating inner personhood overshadows whatever is in appearance or thought.
    Thank you! It is actually easier to give advice to someone when they provide the entire picture as the OP did. I'd rather take the time to read a long paragraph to get a better understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by av1988 View Post
    Thank you! It is actually easier to give advice to someone when they provide the entire picture as the OP did. I'd rather take the time to read a long paragraph to get a better understanding.
    Practice using your intuition, getting better at that 6th sense, so to speak. And you can do this by having a very small piece of the puzzle, you see, and expanding it into a complete picture using inner guidance. Listening to yourself, and developing a living portrait of the life you are trying to put together.

I am saying give advice to someone from only one line of writing. But, feel the atmosphere or tone and mood and let that take you into imagination where the atmosphere comes alive as a living landscape. (dreamlike). You are feeling, not thinking.

So you form the picture, which is often more accurate than the innumerable inaccurate wording used to describe how they are feeling. You dont have to sift through mire to find truth, because you already know it.

Have fun !
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 05-06-2015 at 09:44 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

Quote Originally Posted by Im-Suffering View Post
    Practice using your intuition, getting better at that 6th sense, so to speak. And you can do this by having a very small piece of the puzzle, you see, and expanding it into a complete picture using inner guidance. Listening to yourself, and developing a living portrait of the life you are trying to put together.

I am saying give advice to someone from only one line of writing. But, feel the atmosphere or tone and mood and let that take you into imagination where the atmosphere comes alive as a living landscape. (dreamlike). You are feeling, not thinking.

So you form the picture, which is often more accurate than the innumerable inaccurate wording used to describe how they are feeling. You dont have to sift through mire to find truth, because you already know it.

Have fun !
    Thank you for this wonderful advice! It is helpful to paint my own picture prior to responding.