Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Doctor just prescribed Prozac. Should I stick with 5htp or start the Prozac?

After struggling with anxiety, and the resulting depression, for most of my life, I've come to the conclusion that I can't fight it on my own anymore. Therapy, meditation, yoga, etc never really did anything. I was very outgoing as a child until I was bullied in elementary school and have been living in a state of semi-functional shut down/paralysis ever since. I'm 24 now. To complicate things, I developed IBS in college.

I started taking 100 mg of 5htp the last week or two and it's helped with bowel movements and energy, but the anxiety isn't much different.

I saw my primary doctor today and he prescribed 10mg prozac. Obviously I can't take them together. If I'm noticing slight improvements on 5htp should I stick with that longer or try the Prozac right away? And how long after stopping 5htp before going on Prozac?

Ask yourself what remains unaddressed from your past? What core beliefs and fears were formed when you were bullied that have stayed with you to this day. When you start to address and tackle these core beliefs you can heal and progress in your life.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

Quote Originally Posted by patos90 View Post
    After struggling with anxiety, and the resulting depression, for most of my life, I've come to the conclusion that I can't fight it on my own anymore. Therapy, meditation, yoga, etc never really did anything. I was very outgoing as a child until I was bullied in elementary school and have been living in a state of semi-functional shut down/paralysis ever since. I'm 24 now. To complicate things, I developed IBS in college.

I started taking 100 mg of 5htp the last week or two and it's helped with bowel movements and energy, but the anxiety isn't much different.

I saw my primary doctor today and he prescribed 10mg prozac. Obviously I can't take them together. If I'm noticing slight improvements on 5htp should I stick with that longer or try the Prozac right away? And how long after stopping 5htp before going on Prozac?
    In my opinion Prozac kicks 5htp's ass

Everyone's different obviously and it depends how bad the anxiety is. Prozac will also knock you around a lot more at first but when it works, it really works. I'm not sure how long you should wait before taking it though sorry.

Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    In my opinion Prozac kicks 5htp's ass

Gypsy x
    Have you used both? I'm a little skittish of meds and 5hpt seems to be helping, but might Prozac be a more effective version of 5htp?

Quote Originally Posted by patos90 View Post

Have you used both? I'm a little skittish of meds and 5hpt seems to be helping, but might Prozac be a more effective version of 5htp?
    Yeah I have and I agree that Prozac and SSRIs in general are more effective at increasing serotonin (also a lot less expensive here in Australia). Then again, I am very "un-skittish" when it comes to meds and it takes more than average to effect me. Maybe try a low dose of Prozac?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer