Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Hybrid View

Exclamation Danger: Schizophrenia and PTSD

Yesterday I found out that my boyfriend was diagnosed with Schizophrenia (years back). When we first met, I never asked him what he was getting SSI for because he has tremors and shakes sometimes. I thought that was it, until he displayed signs of weird acts.
    I haven't even looked up the symptoms but I'm sure he falls into every single one. I think he may be in serious denial because he said he only "acted that way" and they took him seriously at the mental health hospital. He also said scans were taken, neurological. I don't know what to believe.

My psychiatrist has told me to watch for red flags, and signs. I have PTSD along with ..anxiety/depression. My question is just, has anyone here been in a relationship with someone who is Schizphrenic? I want this to work with him but we've had some serious drama. His ex has told me he hit her, and he never denied it.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzieSocks View Post
    Yesterday I found out that my boyfriend was diagnosed with Schizophrenia (years back). When we first met, I never asked him what he was getting SSI for because he has tremors and shakes sometimes. I thought that was it, until he displayed signs of weird acts.
    I haven't even looked up the symptoms but I'm sure he falls into every single one. I think he may be in serious denial because he said he only "acted that way" and they took him seriously at the mental health hospital. He also said scans were taken, neurological. I don't know what to believe.

My psychiatrist has told me to watch for red flags, and signs. I have PTSD along with ..anxiety/depression. My question is just, has anyone here been in a relationship with someone who is Schizphrenic? I want this to work with him but we've had some serious drama. His ex has told me he hit her, and he never denied it.
    Yes I was living with (and in a relationship with) a schizophrenic. I ended up having a nervous breakdown and leaving. But I've had a few breakdowns with different guys, so it wasn't necessarily the schizophrenia. It's not easy though. They're all a bit different obviously but the problem is they generally don't have much insight into their illness, so they don't take the medication regularly.

It's pretty obvious if someone has schizophrenia and is in a psychotic phase. They have delusions and talk about stuff that can't possibly be real. Like this guy was obsessed with the Freemasons and thought I was a spy for them sometimes. I said the Freemasons don't even have female members and he said they make an exception in this case lol. This sort of thing went on all the time and for someone with anxiety it was too much. He was a pretty extreme case though.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I understand the breakdowns. I have had quite a few in this relationship but not in past relationships.
    The private/loner lifestyle he lives is frustrating. We don't live together. He seems to be off in space, or disassociated (cut off) from reality a lot.
    So am I to an extent. So thanks for sharing your side. Was he ever physical with you?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzieSocks View Post
    I understand the breakdowns. I have had quite a few in this relationship but not in past relationships.
    The private/loner lifestyle he lives is frustrating. We don't live together. He seems to be off in space, or disassociated (cut off) from reality a lot.
    So am I to an extent. So thanks for sharing your side. Was he ever physical with you?
    Yeah he punched me in the face once actually. I think I whacked him first but not in the face and well, I'm a female. I'd known him for years before he developed schizophrenia (it was drug induced) and he didn't have that kind of temper before.

That's an awful experience I'm sure. Thank you Gypsy for your reply.

No worries. That was like 20 years ago.