Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

People's Experiences with Taking Escitalopram (Lexapro in the US/Cipralex in Canada)

Hi, after a sudden onset of panic attacks (brought on by obsessing over physical symptoms), my Dr. prescribed an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drug. In Canada it seems to be known under a different name, Cipralex (but in the States as Lexapro). I'm taking the generic version of the drug.

Wondering people's experience with it? .. I've been on it for about 8 days, and am slowly beginning to feel a bit better. The first few days were very, very difficult (LOTS of anxiety), which I'm not sure were what I was just experiencing, or, as a side-effect of the drug?

What I'm feeling now is a little less anxious, but, my head feels kind of full, or heavy. And, it seems like I'm kind of keeping my eyes open more ("bug-eyed!"), or, it feels like that. ..

Also, this morning I woke up kind of sweaty, and that freaked me out (of course it did! ). But, I've heard that might also just be a side-effect.

Have people in general had good experiences with taking this drug. Can I expect to feel gradually better, and hopefully, back to my "old self!" Of course, everyone is different, and going to have different experiences, but, wondering if people have found this medication helps return them to being functional, reduce the anxiety, and help you get back on track?

I'm also looking to get into a group for CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy), as I want to do as much as I can to deal with this onset of intense anxiety I've experienced.

Cheers,
    DAVID

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHealing View Post
    Hi, after a sudden onset of panic attacks (brought on by obsessing over physical symptoms), my Dr. prescribed an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drug. In Canada it seems to be known under a different name, Cipralex (but in the States as Lexapro). I'm taking the generic version of the drug.

Wondering people's experience with it? .. I've been on it for about 8 days, and am slowly beginning to feel a bit better. The first few days were very, very difficult (LOTS of anxiety), which I'm not sure were what I was just experiencing, or, as a side-effect of the drug?

What I'm feeling now is a little less anxious, but, my head feels kind of full, or heavy. And, it seems like I'm kind of keeping my eyes open more ("bug-eyed!"), or, it feels like that. ..

Also, this morning I woke up kind of sweaty, and that freaked me out (of course it did! ). But, I've heard that might also just be a side-effect.

Have people in general had good experiences with taking this drug. Can I expect to feel gradually better, and hopefully, back to my "old self!" Of course, everyone is different, and going to have different experiences, but, wondering if people have found this medication helps return them to being functional, reduce the anxiety, and help you get back on track?

I'm also looking to get into a group for CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy), as I want to do as much as I can to deal with this onset of intense anxiety I've experienced.

Cheers,
    DAVID

Lexpro (20) has been very helpful for me.

Thanks JustaGal. .. How long did it take you to feel better? Did you start with 20mg, or, work up to that? .. Do you combine the meds with therapy, or, any other approaches?

David

Thanks JustaGal. .. How long did it take you to feel better? Did you start with 20mg, or, work up to that? .. Do you combine the meds with therapy, or, any other approaches?

David
    Hi,

I started on 10, weaned off, and needed to go back on. I increased it to 20 when 10 was not enough, sometimes that happens when you come off and go back on. I also took a low dose of Ativan while it took time to work. It took 5 weeks to feel a little better, and as weeks went by, better and better. I would not focus on the initial side effects, your mind will create ones. lol
    Unless of course it is a serious reaction. I will say, if you take it for a long time, getting off is a bitch. Some people can get off fine, some struggle through it, some go back on.

I am also in a good group therapy type of thing. Enough can not be said about doing some exercise.
    Last edited by JustaGal; 04-07-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Cheers,
    DAVID
    My GP prescribed Lexapro because he said he thinks it's the best SSRI for anxiety. I've been on Prozac and Zoloft as well and I got more dramatic results from them. But see I've been on and off SSRIs/SNRIs for over 20 years so none of them will affect me like they used to. So it's hard for me to say how well Lexapro works. I'm still taking it 18 months after starting it because I can't stand the initial side-effects of SSRIs, so I just stay on them now. I do seem to be on a pretty even keel atm without much anxiety.

My experience with SSRIs in general has been excellent though. They take quite a while to kick in but when they do I've felt wayyy more confident and happier. Prozac made a massive difference and dragged me out of a terrible depressive episode. It took three weeks to work but the change was dramatic.

Give the Lexapro time - I've had to wait 6-8 weeks for this stuff to work (Zoloft I think).

Cheers,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Hi:
    I have taken Lexapro for years 10 mg. my dr just upped it to 20 because symptoms are getting worse. Personally, I think the brand name works better for me instead of the generic. That's just me.
    Give it time (I know, easier said than done). This is the only drug that worked for me.

Flower power

I've been taking 40mg of Lexapro a day for the past 3 years or so with a minor break in between. I am aware that 40mg is an assload, I was a kid when I got put on them and didn't question what they did to me. They got rid of depression, when it did exist, but for the past 2 years I've taking them for no real reason.

They've completely screwed up my sex drive (it starts returning slowly after around 3 days off them) and make me feel emotionally dulled. They served their purpose a long time ago but I'm fixing to taper off them in the next few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlstrom View Post
    I've been taking 40mg of Lexapro a day for the past 3 years or so with a minor break in between. I am aware that 40mg is an assload, I was a kid when I got put on them and didn't question what they did to me. They got rid of depression, when it did exist, but for the past 2 years I've taking them for no real reason.

They've completely screwed up my sex drive (it starts returning slowly after around 3 days off them) and make me feel emotionally dulled. They served their purpose a long time ago but I'm fixing to taper off them in the next few weeks
    I'm on 20mg Lexapro but been on and off SSRIs for 20 years. I stay on them now because I just don't want to go through the initial crap if I need them again. I'm thinking of swapping to Prozac for the hell of it lol. Nah, I'm tired a lot these days and I think Prozac might pep me up a bit. Sex drive is not a high priority for me haha.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlstrom View Post

I am emotionally dulled too, which is to be expected if you are trying to dull anxiety. But I want to feel the high of the good times too...

Keep us posted on your taper down, I am interested in how that goes. Glad you feel ready to get off!