Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vitamins and supplements for anxiety?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I apologize if this topic is in the wrong section since I'm still trying to learn how to navigate this site and get a handle of things.

I'm curious to know if anyone on here takes or has tried any vitamins or supplements to manage their anxiety? I've heard vitamin B pills help with managing symptoms as well as calcium and magnesium but there's a lot I still need to look into and I'm wondering if anybody can fill me in on the details as to how effective they are and if it's worth trying. I'm sort of interested in taking these because they seem like a safer alternative and are easier to obtain than most medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpence View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I apologize if this topic is in the wrong section since I'm still trying to learn how to navigate this site and get a handle of things.

I'm curious to know if anyone on here takes or has tried any vitamins or supplements to manage their anxiety? I've heard vitamin B pills help with managing symptoms as well as calcium and magnesium but there's a lot I still need to look into and I'm wondering if anybody can fill me in on the details as to how effective they are and if it's worth trying. I'm sort of interested in taking these because they seem like a safer alternative and are easier to obtain than most medication.
    Hi,

There are tons of discussions on the subject. You will find interesting by doing a search on the forum. I take a good quality Krill oil (fish oil) for anxiety on top of my SSRI.

It all depends on your level of anxiety what will work for you. : )

best wishes

Hi Sixpence:

Yes, there is a whole lot to learn about vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
    Please read the below link, which is my thread at this forum on the subject of vitamin D, and....

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...Panic-Disorder

Ali

I'm currently reading the book "The Chemistry of Calm" and since I've started reading it I've started taking Flax Seed Oil (You can take fish oil as well, for Omega 3's), a B Complex, and D3 in addition to the Wellbutrin and Buspar that I'm already on. So far I think it's all good experiences!

A few things are worth keeping in mind, for anyone who is considering taking any vitamins or supplements.

First, at least in the United States, the regulation of vitamins and supplements is very limited. So you need to understand that what the label says (including about ingredients and quantities) may or may not be entirely accurate.

Second, there are risks as well as potential benefits associated with taking certain vitamins and supplements. For example, there have been some studies aimed at showing that a certain supplement reduces the risk of a certain cancer, and the result of the study have shown the opposite -- an increase risk of that cancer among the group who took the supplement.

Third, there are some drug interactions with certain supplements. So it is prudent to check with your doctor before taking any supplements, if you are also taking any medications.

Fourth, there is A TON of bad advice on the internet concerning supplements, herbal substances and the like. So take whatever you read on the internet, including on this forum, with a health dose of skepticism. The same is true of books. There are all sorts of books recommending some vitamin or the other as the magic solution to your problems. Just because it is in a book does not mean it is true.

Fifth, most people who eat a balanced diet and do not have any diagnosed vitamin deficiency probably do not need any supplements at all.

With all of this, I am not saying don't take any supplements. (I am not a doctor, so I am not qualified to tell you what to take or not to take). But I am saying check with your doctor before you take any of this stuff -- to see whether it is necessary, whether it is likely to be helpful, or harmful, etc.
    Last edited by Kuma; 03-31-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Good advice there from Kuma.

I take a few vitamins and things but more for physical stuff eg fish oil for cholesterol because my doctor advised me to. I don't think vitamins and supplements can hurt, except for your hip pocket! You're better off just eating a good diet.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

This article points out some of the risks of taking vitamin supplements, especially at high doses:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dietary-...d-cancer-risk/

I don't post this to tell people they shouldn't take supplements at all. But I think it's a good idea to consult a qualified medical doctor before doing so.

Guess people are going to read this in the future, so I'll try and break down a few supplements for you. This is just my opinion from either taking them or studying them. I'm not a doctor. I only tell cute girls that I am.

B-vitamins are hit or miss. Some find them relaxing, others find them too stimulating. Personally they were too stimulating for me, so I don't take them. If you take them and find you're really riled up, throw them in the bin.

Vitamin D is essential... if you're low. Get a blood test and check your levels. It's easy to do, and can be a game changer. If you're borderline, you can take a maintenance dose of 1000ug and get extra sunlight. If you're low, your doctor will advise supplementation.

Magnesium is something everyone should take. Given the garbage in our diets and the depletion of minerals in the soil, virtually everybody will be low in it. If you're stressed, which I assume you are, take the RDI of quality magnesium every day. Unless you have reason not to.

Omega-3 can be useful. Most people never check their levels, so unless you eat lots of organic fish, you may need more. Most physicians recommend supplementing, so you can try if you want to. Krill oil is one of the best types to take.

Valerian is ok. It may help you sleep. It may not. It made me dream funny.

Chamomile tea is helpful. People have been drinking this for centuries. Stay within limits and you'll find there are no side-effects. The taste isn't great, but you'll get used to it. Green tea can be helpful too, what with all the Theanine. Some find it stimulating though. If you do, don't take it.

Vitamin C is very good, but only take it for 3-months. And only when your anxiety is better. Your adrenal gland takes a colossal beating when you have anxiety. When feeling better, takes steps to help it recover. Don't wing it though. Get somebody qualified to help you.

Passionflower is effective, but it has side-effects. It can make you feel sick, make your heart race and make you drowsy. If you want to try it, it's up to you. Avoid it if pregnant. It's probably safe, but there's not enough research.

GABA/Amino Acids are one of the most interesting anxiety supplements as they affect the way your brain communicates with itself. That said, they need to be held in the correct balance. Try to take a blood test before taking any so you can know where you stand. Some people's live transform when taking these. You'll almost certainly screw it up if you just guess, though.

Vitamin E is another supplement that gets recommended, and is another a fair few people are deficient in. Personally, I don't believe you need to supplement it though. There are so many great foods with vitamin E inside them. Avocados, olive oil and nuts are just a few. Why take a supplement when you can just eat better?

Calcium gets talked about a lot. I'm not sure why. Unless you add up your daily diet and find you're not getting enough calcium, I don't see the point in supplementing it. That goes for most other trace metals too. Your body is in fine balance, and changing one mineral level can just screw up that balance. Ratios are much more important than amount (unless you're seriously low). Check your body's metal levels first before trying any of these supplements. Some of that can be done cheaply using only the hair.

Milk thistle is recommended by PanicCured in his sticky thread. It has some scientific backing behind it, and is said to have profound detoxification benefits. But you know what else does? Lemon and warm water. Drink that upon waking and save yourself 10 bucks.

Acidophilus is something I love. It's the good bacteria found in the gut. The supplements are expensive to buy and give you side-effects of nausea and stomach aches for a few days. Lots of research is now suggesting good gut flora can help aid in the expulsion of mental illness. To take a short cut, simply eat more ORGANIC greek yoghurt. You'll find if you do, your immune system will go up a notch, too.

5HTP and St. John's are two of the closest supplements to SSRIs on the market. In fact, you should never take either if you are taking a real anti-depressant. For both, results seem to cut down the middle. Some find they take the edge off their disorder, others find them worthless. These supplements are fairly serious, so don't take them lightly. Read the instructions carefully if you do decide to try them and stay within recommended doses. Avoid alcohol at all times, and contact your doctor if you notice anything serious. If you don't want to take SSRIs, it's worth talking to your doctor or naturopath about these before starting one.

------

So, that's my take on most of the popular supplements on the market. I've tried most of them, but now only take magnesium and vitamin D (I live in a cold climate). Getting some numbers back from a proper lab will take the guess work out of a lot of this stuff. I've taken supplements before, only to find out my levels of said vitamin were high. Not only was it a waste of money, but also potentially harmful.

I'd say for the majority of people, diet will be more important than taking a pill. A lot of people respond well to the diabetic diet (a diet designed for balancing blood sugar). That should be something you talk to a pro about though before embarking on, at least if you're inexperienced.

A great way to see what your current nutritional levels are like is to visit Fitday.com and input your daily meals. Here, you can find out what you're not eating enough of, and try to fix the problem.

Supplements will only make a major difference if you're depleted. So rather than search for a miracle cure, get a blood test and do a little meditation/mind work instead. You'll find that a lot more useful, and find your wallet is a little heavier too.
    Last edited by jessed03; 04-21-2015 at 03:42 PM.

I asked my GP today to test my vitamin levels and he asked me why. I said I want to know which vitamins to take and he said the majority of oral vitamins are useless. He's pretty clever - more so than the average GP - so I believe him. So there you go.. Don't waste your money.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Your post is very informative and it really help me to choose good supplements. I want to take natural or Green supplements only. Can anybody here help me to choose my green drink?