Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Lightbulb My Panic Attacks

Hi there, I am new to the forum and wanted to share with you guys a coping device I have found.

About 3 weeks ago I was sat watching TV and all of a sudden I felt a wave of panic come over me, my heart started beating really fast, you guessed it, another panic attack!
    I knew what it was as I used to get them regular until I changed my job to something less stressful but there it was again, rearing its ugly head, and making me feel like I was about to have a heart attack and die.

I realised I had to take my mind off this horrible feeling, and there right on the coffee table in front of me was an Olbas inhaler ( Nasal stick ) I pushed it up one of my nostrils and began breathing it in deeply, then swapping to the other nostril, amazingly it took my mind off the panic attack and it quickly went away.

I now carry one around with me at all times and have used it on the first signs of an attack coming on and it stops it in its tracks fast.

Hope this helps others out there, it certainly works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Zeepleflux View Post
    Hi there, I am new to the forum and wanted to share with you guys a coping device I have found.

About 3 weeks ago I was sat watching TV and all of a sudden I felt a wave of panic come over me, my heart started beating really fast, you guessed it, another panic attack!
    I knew what it was as I used to get them regular until I changed my job to something less stressful but there it was again, rearing its ugly head, and making me feel like I was about to have a heart attack and die.

I realised I had to take my mind off this horrible feeling, and there right on the coffee table in front of me was an Olbas inhaler ( Nasal stick ) I pushed it up one of my nostrils and began breathing it in deeply, then swapping to the other nostril, amazingly it took my mind off the panic attack and it quickly went away.

I now carry one around with me at all times and have used it on the first signs of an attack coming on and it stops it in its tracks fast.

That's pretty cool. Whether it truly stops them with the smell of the inhaler or you believe that the inhaler will work so it does, who cares!

Another tool in the tool box never hurt anyone
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe

I think it works for a couple of reasons

1) The strong smell helps you concentrate on it and tunes out what your body is up to

2) You are controlling your breathing when inhaling the smell

Cant think of any other reason, that is unless Olbas oil has a calming effect too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeepleflux View Post

LOL. This would also work because of alternate nasal breathing good one!
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer