Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Life without alcohol

Just over 15 months ago now, i went into rehab for alcohol. I'm 26, and i've been drinking since a very young age.

Anxiety has always been with me for as long as i can remember so alcohol was a great way of getting away from it. Now that have stopped drinkig though my life is unbearable.

I'm actually managing to get out of my house though, but its so unbelievably hard. I'm really struggling with dealing with it. I want to be well more than anything and i don't feel like there is anything or ever will anything that is going to get me through all of this.

I'm constantly asking myself what the point of any of this is, i've been through so fucking much to get my life together and it feels like its all for nothing.

I really don't know what to do anymore.

Niall.

and to make things worse, this weekend i nearly lost my partner through all of this too.

I don't think i could go on if i lost her.

First off I'd like to say I'm proud of you for finding help for your drinking pproblem ..
    and I'm really sorry... I know how you feel.
    You just have to stay strong!! I know how difficult it can be especially when you start getting bad anxiety.
    Well have you tried seeing professional help for your anxiety problem??

Don't give up trying mate. I was in a similar situation at your age where I was struggling to leave the house. I managed to hold a job down but it used to be a nightmare going to work, particularly on Mondays if I'd been out on the piss at the weekend.
    One thing that helped me big time was getting fit- It sounds daft but you'd be amazed how much difference it can make. Sound in body, sound in mind is one the truest phrases I've heard. Maybe try going for a jog round the block every now and then; I found that as I got fitter and could run further, my confidence increased. Your body regulates your breathing when you are doing physical exercise and makes it much more difficult to get into that viscious circle of an anxiety attack.
    Im 31 now and far from 100%, but I'm ten times better than I was in my mid twenties. If you've had the guts to sort out you're drinking you're a braver man than me so I reckon you'll be fine.

All the best, Dave