Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Help! Unable to attend CBT session because of Agoroaphobia.

Hi

Two weeks ago I had an assesment session for my agoraphobia treatment. I have waited nearly 7 months for this. I am unable to drive to the next town because of my fear of having a panic attack and being spaced out. I can't go by bus or walk for the same reasons.

My therapist (who doesn't at all seem very approachable or understanding) told me that I need to practice driving to the town over those 2 weeks to attend my next session tomorrow but that's just the problem. I have tried but the road there is horrendous, there is always a traffic jam busy road works and no alternative routes and I fear I would just freak out.

If I was able to safety drive or go by bus into town then I would not need the CBT treatment! Its a catch 22 situation.

I do know that I need to be proactive in exposure but I thought you did it as a hierarchy. And that maybe by my last session I would be able to travel into town. If I could do it by my first session then I would not need treatment.

Its Like having a broken leg and been told you need to climb stairs to the top of a 10 storey building to get your broken leg fixed.

I have requested a change of appointment but they warn me that I will loose 1 session as it will be considered a cancellation not postponed. My therapist doesn't at all seem very understanding

Please can any one help. How does the NHS expect to treat agoraphobia if patients can't attend appointments because of the very condition they're being treated for? Don't they understand that we agoraphobia sufferers are stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    Hi

Two weeks ago I had an assesment session for my agoraphobia treatment. I have waited nearly 7 months for this. I am unable to drive to the next town because of my fear of having a panic attack and being spaced out. I can't go by bus or walk for the same reasons.

My therapist (who doesn't at all seem very approachable or understanding) told me that I need to practice driving to the town over those 2 weeks to attend my next session tomorrow but that's just the problem. I have tried but the road there is horrendous, there is always a traffic jam busy road works and no alternative routes and I fear I would just freak out.

If I was able to safety drive or go by bus into town then I would not need the CBT treatment! Its a catch 22 situation.

I do know that I need to be proactive in exposure but I thought you did it as a hierarchy. And that maybe by my last session I would be able to travel into town. If I could do it by my first session then I would not need treatment.

Its Like having a broken leg and been told you need to climb stairs to the top of a 10 storey building to get your broken leg fixed.

I have requested a change of appointment but they warn me that I will loose 1 session as it will be considered a cancellation not postponed. My therapist doesn't at all seem very understanding

Please can any one help. How does the NHS expect to treat agoraphobia if patients can't attend appointments because of the very condition they're being treated for? Don't they understand that we agoraphobia sufferers are stuck?
    That is a pretty crappy position to be in. The 2 week window you had didn't help since it just put more pressure on you that only lead to being even more anxious

Since it sounds as if you know panic attacks all too well, why exactly are you afraid to have a panic attack if you drive or get stuck in traffic?

You have been through them a bunch and it sucks but there has never been any real danger, I assume?

Just get in the car, panic away and don't look back. It will stop whether you keep going, turn around or stop on the side of the road.

The reason you may have one driving there is because you already have convinced yourself that you will.

Where the mind goes, energy flows and the results are soon to show.....

As long as you fear panic, Panic will not disappoint.

Truly believe they are harmless and just a pain in the ass, you take the fear away and boom!, panic attacks cease.

They only will happen if you keep believing that they will

Take the ride. You will be just fine!
    "Y'all didn't have to shoot me" ~ Harambe

Quote Originally Posted by NixonRulz View Post
    That is a pretty crappy position to be in. The 2 week window you had didn't help since it just put more pressure on you that only lead to being even more anxious

Since it sounds as if you know panic attacks all too well, why exactly are you afraid to have a panic attack if you drive or get stuck in traffic?

You have been through them a bunch and it sucks but there has never been any real danger, I assume?

Just get in the car, panic away and don't look back. It will stop whether you keep going, turn around or stop on the side of the road.

The reason you may have one driving there is because you already have convinced yourself that you will.

Where the mind goes, energy flows and the results are soon to show.....

As long as you fear panic, Panic will not disappoint.

Truly believe they are harmless and just a pain in the ass, you take the fear away and boom!, panic attacks cease.

They only will happen if you keep believing that they will

Take the ride. You will be just fine!
    Thanks I understand but my biggest fear is that the 'spaced out' feeling could impair my ability to drive safely we all know how dangerous impairment is.
    There is one section of road works for nearly a mile where I cant pull over and stop, it's just a narrow busy channel of traffic. If I did stop I fear I'd be arrested for not being fit to drive.

There are no alternative routes. I'm terrified of causing a crash and getting prosecuted. The bus is an option but even more scary since I have not been on a bus for over a year and I'd just have to get off and miss the appointment anyway
    Last edited by Ambition; 02-23-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post

Thanks I understand but my biggest fear is that the 'spaced out' feeling could impair my ability to drive safely we all know how dangerous impairment is.
    There is one section of road works for nearly a mile where I cant pull over and stop, it's just a narrow busy channel of traffic. If I did stop I fear I'd be arrested for not being fit to drive.

There are no alternative routes. I'm terrified of causing a crash and getting prosecuted. The bus is an option but even more scary since I have not been on a bus for over a year and I'd just have to get off and miss the appointment anyway
    I know exactly what you mean. I get that spaced out feeling too and it's horrible. I've had to drive my daughter to school with it and sometimes I was so panicky I thought I wouldn't even be able to drive. But I always made it and the route to school isn't the best.

It's just an anxiety symptom. You won't cause a crash. My psychiatrist once told me about statistics relating to driving and various mental illnesses -- anxiety disordered people had the lowest rate of accidents. I reckon we probably have the lowest rate of everyone because of how cautious we can be!

Maybe you could practice at a time when there isn't as much traffic, like at night? Also when I get anxious in traffic I have some strategies to distract myself, like I always listen to music I like and I find singing helps. Or I do deep breathing. I've been driving for nearly twenty years and haven't caused an accident once, despite some awful anxiety attacks.

All the best
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

When I started DBT (similar to CBT) I balled my eyes out the first class, But I did a lot of self talk and made myself stay. DBT changed my life.

However I did the class for a year before I tackled driving, and even then I took driving lessons even though I had my license for ten years. I know when my anxiety is high it isn't safe for me to drive, I will stay home, or put on hazards and pull over to calm down. So just doing it cold turkey does seem dangerous to me. That being said I don't know how severe your anxiety is, but I think anyone who has agoraphobia is on the severe side of things no?

My first step to getting out was to take a ten minute walk each day for a week, then the next week it was to walk to a nearby store. Little baby steps, to show myself it can be done safely. Your therapist doesn't seem supportive, maybe see about seeing someone else. It's ok to say kindly that you two just don't click.

However getting to that class will be the first step to making a difference. Get there by any means, budget for a taxi, beg for a ride from loved ones, call a flex bus if they have those in your area. This is the key to bettering yourself, and its hard at first, but its worth it! Believe it or not at first I was able to get transportation through my medical because they knew my anxiety was to severe to get anywhere on my own, if you are on disability look into that maybe?