Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Negative thoughts!

I keep thinking negatively, I feel like life is passing me by quickly. Everything seems the same every day. How can I stop these negative thoughts? I have doctors tomorrow shall I request for a form of counselling to treat my naivety/depression?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Price View Post
    I keep thinking negatively, I feel like life is passing me by quickly. Everything seems the same every day. How can I stop these negative thoughts? I have doctors tomorrow shall I request for a form of counselling to treat my naivety/depression?
    Try to replace the negative thought with a good thought. Instead of "everything seems the same everyday" say "I have the freedom to do what ever I want today".
    By the way, I have that same thought. And my replacement for the thought does help, and does pull me out of the dark place....

Keep yourself busy or do things that make you interested with.

Quote Originally Posted by JB478 View Post
    Keep yourself busy or do things that make you interested with.
    Thats the best advice, and the hardest to do when we are depressed. But making your self do it can snap you out of it. I felt normal and happy going out with friends last night, even though I imagined I would not have that great of a time, I did after all.

i can't blame you at all. Negative thoughts and views surely can spoil the day. Me, whenever i negative thoughts starting to pop out, i will always think outside the box and state some good points inside that negative thoughts. So i will just bend the negative ideas into positive, then kablam! all will goes well. Bottom line is, don't take it so seriously, they are maybe negative lurking around, but there are always positive behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Price View Post
    I understand. Anxious people have a tendency to see the negative in things -- it's not because we're "bad" people or anything, it's actually the way the brain is wired. The good news is the brain isn't set in stone. New ways of thinking can be developed. CBT is one way to do this.

I'm listening to an audiobook recommended by someone here who said it had a huge positive impact on his thinking. It's called MBCT For Dummies. MBCT stands for Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, so it's a combination of Mindfulness (living in the present) and CBT (looking at your thought patterns and changing them to more positive ones). I will find the link for you.

You could indeed ask the doctor to refer you to a therapist who does CBT. I wish I'd learnt about it when I first was diagnosed with anxiety/depression.

All the best
    Gypsy x

Here is the book: https://mobile.audible.com/pd/Self-D...B00L1IF0JQ?s=s

P.S. You can get it for free by joining the free trial thing and then just cancel the trial afterwards
    Last edited by gypsylee; 02-23-2015 at 03:22 AM.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer