Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Hi guys! So I'll just dive right in then...

Hi everyone. My name is Sophie, I'm 21 (22 in May!) and live in Western Australia. I guess the reason I sought out an anxiety forum was because I needed to discuss my situation with other people who can offer insight and hopefully advice! I've been aware of my anxiety for about a year now after seeing a psychologist/naturopath because I was suicidal and having panic attacks. The doctor I saw recommended I take supplements (magnesium, iron, vitamin c and zinc) and they do help 80% of the time. Lately though they haven't been working so well, and I think it's because I've reached the point where I have to actually address the things in my life which cause my anxiety...
    The problem is that my family don't believe anxiety is a real thing, they think I'm being dramatic and emotional. This in turn makes me doubt myself, maybe I am just being dramatic and emotional?! So I don't like acknowledging that I have a problem because it makes me feel like a drama queen, and I definitely don't like talking about it! I've come to the realization in the past couple of weeks that I do actually have a problem beyond just being dramatic, and that I need to treat it as a physical wound or disability in order to 'fix' myself. So I've tried talking to my mother about my anxiety, I've told her about symptoms I have which are undeniable (Phobias, avoiding social situations, terrible self confidence, not believing anyone truly likes me, over thinking, tiredness, terrible memory...you know how it goes) tried talking about how it is a real thing, like depression, and that there are things my family does which trigger my bad spots and I need them to stop these things! (saying negative things to me about myself, joking about how I have no friends, negative comments all the time about my appearance, pressure to attend their church more regularly etc..) Mostly they just tell me I'm too sensitive, that I need to toughen up and get over it... How do I make my family understand that this is a very real thing for me?? How do I put it into terms that they will understand?

Also does anyone else have the problem where they doubt themselves as far as actually having something wrong with them instead of just being overly dramatic?

I don't know if I've really said what I needed to say...I can't put the words together so I'll just hope that it comes across right. Thanks for reading this all the way through!

Yes! Just dive right in. That's how it should be done.

You can always rely on the Aussies to be outgoing.

Ssh about the May thing by the way. May isn't coming. I turn 26 shortly after. I'm not even entertaining that thought!

I'm going to be honest with you and say you're an adult now. That means knowing your own mind (to an extent) and leading the way in your life. Anxiety is a serious and debilitating condition. It is real. Extreme physiological and psychological reactions take place, and they can't be undone if you don't believe they exist. So as far as your family go: people will have problems understanding this. Heck I did until I suffered from it. But it's your job to be firm, recognise you have a condition, and don't let anybody distract you from what it takes to heal.

Some people will understand if you get a medical diagnosis and point them towards some literature on the condition. Some really won't ever understand it. Even though my dad was very supportive of me, when I told him I was suffering from a stress disorder, he'd scrunch his face and say, "Well what have you got to be stressed about? You're just a kid." My path of healing had to reroute around him a little.

What I'm more concerned about is how to put into terms this condition in a way that you'll understand. You seem to be suffering from a mind that isn't on your side at the moment. What have you done in regards to talking therapy or CBT?

Hi Sophie, I too am a newbie and also live in western Australia. I have been suffering with anxiety and panic for around 30 years and just recently went to a cardiologist for the first time. Been going to doctors for years but never wanted to go in fear of the diagnosis. Well the diagnosis was there is nothing wrong with me go out and thrash yourself son he says your heart is fine well I haven't had a anxiety attack for nearly a week and today I had one it was very minor and I didn't buy into it and it went away just as quick as it came. I have studied anxiety and panic for many years and the key things you need to do that I did not when I was you age because no one had a clue back then is you must go to the doctor and rule out any physical symptoms and then you have to start mindful meditation you can find more info and the best info from a lady called Bronwyn Fox, her website is called panic attacks I am pretty sure, I cant post the link coz I haven't posted enough stuff she is in Adelaide, your anxiety and fear is your thinking and nothing else that triggers it so there fore you must be mindful of your thinking. Meditation will help you do this, you can also order a meditation cd set from a guy by the name of Eric Harrison, he is in Subiaco you can even go to his studio and he does group lessons and teaches you how to meditate. I have done it for years and it has helped me get through but it has been tough at times with life's different stressful evnts sometimes build up. Now I have been

Sorry Sophie this bloody site times out if you take to long to type and I lost some of my reply to you, so what I was saying is you must loose the fear of the attacks and that's taking back the power not giving it power by being scared, take back the power and they will become less and less its all in you thinking you must meditate to help you to be mindful of what your thinking, but please go to the doctor and make sure there is nothing physical wrong first.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. Even just by posting this message yesterday I feel like a little bit of the pressure has eased for now.

Jessed03 - I haven't actually done anything in regards to talking therapy or CBT. I don't know a lot about CBT...it sounds a little intimidating. I have considered speaking with a psychologist but every time I think about making an appointment I manage to talk myself out of it. Do you think it would be benficial? What have been your experiences with both these things? I have an issue with seeking help from other people, I'm one of those kids raised in a 'stiff upper lip' family and that's a hard thing to overcome.

dowdsy - Yay, high-5 for WA! I do yoga a little and have found that physical activity is very good at relieving some of the pressure. Thank you for your wise words on taking back the power, I'll try and keep that in mind

Hi Sophie! So sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sorry you don't have family that can understand your situation.
    I'm new here as well. I hope both of us can find some relief by talking with others who truly understand what is happening.

@Sophie: I really do believe fixing the old head-computer will be the most important thing you ever do. If you don't want to reach out for help just yet, you can buy books on CBT from Amazon. Once you understand the process further, and see for yourself how it works, you'll probably feel up to taking on a new challenge.

Hi guys, thanks for all your help.
    Unfortunately I had a bit of an incident on the weekend (confrontation, my biggest trigger) and have gone back to square one...I feel like I'm in a giant game of snakes and ladders and I was close to the top but then I hit a snake and now I have to start again...
    I don't really know how to deal with it. All I want to go is go make a big nest out of blankets and pillows and lock myself away for a day or two so I can recover. I could take a day off work but I don't know if that's the right solution in the long run or whether it will just make me more tired/antisocial. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by sophielouise01 View Post
    Hi everyone. My name is Sophie, I'm 21 (22 in May!) and live in Western Australia. I guess the reason I sought out an anxiety forum was because I needed to discuss my situation with other people who can offer insight and hopefully advice! I've been aware of my anxiety for about a year now after seeing a psychologist/naturopath because I was suicidal and having panic attacks. The doctor I saw recommended I take supplements (magnesium, iron, vitamin c and zinc) and they do help 80% of the time. Lately though they haven't been working so well, and I think it's because I've reached the point where I have to actually address the things in my life which cause my anxiety...
    The problem is that my family don't believe anxiety is a real thing, they think I'm being dramatic and emotional. This in turn makes me doubt myself, maybe I am just being dramatic and emotional?! So I don't like acknowledging that I have a problem because it makes me feel like a drama queen, and I definitely don't like talking about it! I've come to the realization in the past couple of weeks that I do actually have a problem beyond just being dramatic, and that I need to treat it as a physical wound or disability in order to 'fix' myself. So I've tried talking to my mother about my anxiety, I've told her about symptoms I have which are undeniable (Phobias, avoiding social situations, terrible self confidence, not believing anyone truly likes me, over thinking, tiredness, terrible memory...you know how it goes) tried talking about how it is a real thing, like depression, and that there are things my family does which trigger my bad spots and I need them to stop these things! (saying negative things to me about myself, joking about how I have no friends, negative comments all the time about my appearance, pressure to attend their church more regularly etc..) Mostly they just tell me I'm too sensitive, that I need to toughen up and get over it... How do I make my family understand that this is a very real thing for me?? How do I put it into terms that they will understand?

Also does anyone else have the problem where they doubt themselves as far as actually having something wrong with them instead of just being overly dramatic?

I don't know if I've really said what I needed to say...I can't put the words together so I'll just hope that it comes across right. Thanks for reading this all the way through!
    Hi Sophie,

Welcome from a fellow Aussie! Melbournian here

Cheers,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by jessed03 View Post
    Yes! Just dive right in. That's how it should be done.

You can always rely on the Aussies to be outgoing.
    Bloody oath mate
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer