Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Whir35 View Post
    Yoga sounds good, was thinking about trying that. A lot of people mentioning blood sugar so maybe that has something to do with it. Will start out with some light walking and yoga and go from there.
    Remember, everything with getting anxiety better is a long term process. You don't have to do it all at once, but you do need to keep progressing and moving forward. The road is not perfectly linear and you get bumps along the road.

Do you think maybe you trigger the panic from weird feelings after exercise such as really hungry, low blood sugar, etc.? When I had really bad anxiety I was so ultra sensitive to every little sensation. But don't let your brain equate exercise as bad. Exercise is the key to health! In a big workout, everyone's blood sugar is low, and some bodybuilders even take large amounts of sugar in their protein shakes after. I am not recommending that, but pointing out that is it possible you just get ultra sensitive to that use up blood sugar feeling which triggers you to go "Oh shit!" and trigger anxiety?

I was lucky to live 1 minute walking distance to a yoga studio when I as deepest in my anxiety. I went 3-4 times a week and NEVER had a panic attack in yoga class. I really suggest you do it regularly. It has so many helpful attributes to people with anxiety.

Yoga sounds good, was thinking about trying that. A lot of people mentioning blood sugar so maybe that has something to do with it. Will start out with some light walking and yoga and go from there.
    I used to get very light-headed and panicky after exercise too. I thought it might be blood sugar. I bought one of those cheap devices to check, but never found anything significant. If you think blood sugar could be an issue, it's worth picking one up and doing a couple of checks throughout the day to see what's going on. They don't cost more than about $15. I think it was good for me to rule out lots of health-related things such as sugar levels, nutritional deficiencies, blood pressure etc, just so I could say, "Yeah, this is a mental thing."

When you're turning your back on panic (regular panic, not PanicCured), it's good to do it with 100% conviction. The "buts what ifs" are killer when you're an anxious person. Get them all ruled out early.

I had this problem when I first started working out...so bad I went Dr over the feelings after some test we realized I also had Reactive Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) It feels an awful lot like an anxiety attack. After changing my diet some, I now enjoy working out and it is one of my best anxiety relievers.

Exercise releases the same chemicals we get during the fight or flight response. Ergo, you can feel anxious when exercising. Continue exercising and these symptoms will lessen.

Ed
    How strong, how costly, the urge to fight our fate and turn back time. But life is meant to be consumed, not preserved to ward off doom. One can surely die from fear, before the end is ever near.

Ok thanks, yes I do think I trigger the panic from weird feelings after exercise. I have come to realise that my anxiety is a kind of panic about panic. I have a fear of fear. So when I exercise my internal scanner must work on overdrive due to unusual symptoms / feeling different. I am so hypersensitive these days that I can always hear my heart beat in my head and feel the blood pumping through my veins. I could count my pulse just sitting here. I don't need to feel my wrist. So I guess exercise is going to make me feel different and therefore my internal "scanner" as I call it will be working in overdrive.

Ok thanks, yes I do think I trigger the panic from weird feelings after exercise. I have come to realise that my anxiety is a kind of panic about panic. I have a fear of fear. So when I exercise my internal scanner must work on overdrive due to unusual symptoms / feeling different. I am so hypersensitive these days that I can always hear my heart beat in my head and feel the blood pumping through my veins. I could count my pulse just sitting here. I don't need to feel my wrist. So I guess exercise is going to make me feel different and therefore my internal "scanner" as I call it will be working in overdrive.
    It sounds like you have brilliant insight into your condition and I can fully relate and understand exactly what you mean. Read what you wrote again! It took me so long to realize that I caused my panic attacks from that tiny split second of "Oh shit!" Like the fearful sensations creep up and then I would go "Oh shit!" boom! Attack. I was so convinced for so long my heart would go out of control to 160 beats per minute on it's own, until I came to terms that my mind triggered the fight or flight response. I didn't have a heart problem.

Of course some people do have heart problems, so that is why you have to get the check up and get diagnosed as anxiety.

I also used to feel the strong pulsations. If I did like 10 pushups I felt like my body was throbbing in pulsations. Now I don't feel that same feeling, but TRY and get my heart to beat fast. Funny how my heart beating fast was my worst nightmare, now I do my best to make it beat fast for health! Make sure you are not hyperventilating. Also, getting in shape will help too.

Truly understand the concept to not add 2nd fear.

i know this is an old thread, but whir35, you seem to be the only person who ive been able to find that has an increase in anxiety after exercise. i also experience this and i also have it last for a few days after. This has been very dificult for me because exercising is one of my favorite thing to do. was wondering if you have found out anymore as to what was causing this or any recs on how to manage this. any help appreciated. thanks

I have to agree with this....theres been a number of times i have come home from less than 2hrs of gym sessions and then gone home and got myself into a right state...
    my guess is your body works harder when your exercising and so your hormones go out of place and so it kinda gets in your head

have you found someone that you can go and do exercise with so it can be more enjoyable?

Kindest regards