Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Questions about coming off Zoloft

I have read others' experiences of coming off SSRIs and wanted to get opinions on my situation. I'm 19 and started taking Zoloft (Sertraline 50mg) in June last year after a very difficult year of anxiety. I didn't want medication to be a long-term thing for me, so I focused a lot on CBT and only took meds for six months or so. I am now completely off the Zoloft and haven't taken any for almost two weeks. My symptoms are still very strong - brain zaps, dizziness and nausea. I have also been crying a lot over little things and I have been feeling sad most of the time. My anxiety is heightened since coming off Zoloft, which I expected. I'm going back to college tomorrow after being off for almost two months and I'm nervous that I won't be able to deal with it as well as I could on the Zoloft. I'm worried that this will make my anxiety come back strong again. I have a few questions:
    1. Is it normal that my withdrawal symptoms are still going strong?
    2. How long will this crying/sad thing last?
    3. Is it likely that my anxiety will come back?

Thanks for any help given, much appreciated!

Hey Go Your Own Way.

You're coming off your Zoloft pretty soon. If you feel you're right to, great, but they usually suggest being on an SSRI for up to 6 months after your symptoms stop.

As far as your questions go, it would be rare for severe Zoloft withdrawal symptoms to last longer than a month. If tapering is done properly, you should feel you're over the hump by then.

And your anxiety: anxiety is usually because of over-stimulation. If you've learnt to deal with it by developing better thinking habits and by incorporating relaxation, there's no reason why it should come back.

I hope you feel better soon!