Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

'New Car Syndrome'

Hello, I'm new to this type of thing, i.e; Forums, But I'm having a troubling time after a very traumatic experience,, I cant help but link each and every-thought, memory, dream or abstract concept; to the traumatic thing I experienced, constantly thinking its a product of that. I just cant shake it. I'm currently seeing a CBT therapist about my 'General Anxiety'; all the 'Ape Brain' thinking and such, which has helped me to a degree, but the unconscious 'linking' thing is really starting to get to me now. is this 'normal' for somebody suffering anxiety? Has anyone had a similar sub-conscious troubles. I'm sorry if my description is a bit vague. And As the tile says, I have been told its like , when you get a new car, you see the same car everywhere, as in seeing the things on your mind in every thought. I'd just like to hear someone elses' opinion (somebody whose felt it maybe?) Thanks.
    Last edited by Catchee; 01-24-2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: further insight

New car syndrome. I like that definition. Yeah, I think it makes sense. I guess firstly I just want to ask what your therapist has said about it? Have you gotten a diagnosis of PTSD?

Welcome, by the way. I studied in Norfolk. Lovely part of the world.

Hello and welcome

I think this is normal - I know I do it.

Hope you find some support here..
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Catchee View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this type of thing, i.e; Forums,

But I'm having a troubling time after a very traumatic experience,,

I cant help but link each and every-thought, memory, dream or abstract concept; to the traumatic thing I experienced, constantly thinking its a product of that. I just cant shake it. I'm currently seeing a CBT therapist about my 'General Anxiety'; all the 'Ape Brain' thinking and such, which has helped me to a degree, but the unconscious 'linking' thing is really starting to get to me now. is this 'normal' for somebody suffering anxiety? Has anyone had a similar sub-conscious troubles.

I'm sorry if my description is a bit vague.

And As the tile says, I have been told its like , when you get a new car, you see the same car everywhere, as in seeing the things on your mind in every thought. I'd just like to hear someone elses' opinion (somebody whose felt it maybe?) Thanks.
    The important sentences in this post have been bolded, yet intentionally left undescribed by the OP. Who is correct in that the description is 'vague'. So for anyone new here, reading this, You cannot be 'truly' served unless you are completely open. What was the traumatic experience? Now regardless if this person shows up again, he/she left behind a good example for others, you. If you are vague, so will be the responses you receive. On a forum, or in your day to day life.

In regards to 'associative thinking' (apropos term, not 'ape brain', you are not an ape, nor are your thinking patterns of a primate). Yes it is the way things work. And I am being vague, please forgive me.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 01-25-2015 at 06:56 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

How does an Ape think and what analysis was used to read it's thoughts? lol

You need to detach from the experience and stop clinging to it. It's like an addiction - Your mind is feeding it.

Not sure the car analogy is a good simile for what you are describing.

If you wan't a car analogy - then I would simply just say "Slow Down!"

Get off the freeway and go find some space to better observe from a new perspective. Forget about seeing the same car - put yourself in a place where there are none!

Good luck with that.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/