Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Great tip regarding GAD-exercises

I've been having problems with doing my GAD-exercises. The exercises all include looking at the worry-thoughts and not act on them, not getting into them.

One problem I've been having is that when I do them, I get these thoughts: "I suck, I can't do this, I'm weak". Today I saw my psychologist, and she told me "those are worry-thoughts to!!" Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by namaste87 View Post

One problem I've been having is that when I do them, I get these thoughts: "I suck, I can't do this, I'm weak".
    Listen carefully. No creature inherently feels that way. That is conditioning.

"I suck, I can't do this, I'm weak" was an interpretation of experience as a child. And that child's beliefs are still directing your life. It is not enough to just say a "worry thought" or belief is untrue, you must also edify, bring to light, the deeper understanding. Which you are now doing, by expanding your consciousness.

For example your mom said to you "can't you just get me my soda, you can't do anything right"

That is trauma and shock, and so the child hears "I suck, I can't do this, I'm weak"

Today, forgetting the soda incident, you are left with "I suck, etc" and so that affects every aspect of your life. Getting rid of that belief (seeing it for what it is, an ((unclear)) interpretation of an event, and not a fact about your personality) will change everything across the board, almost immediately.

Do you understand? You are doing well.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 12-18-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"