Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Extra terrified of being tail gated in the rain

Then later felt anxious because my car tires felt like they were handling the road in a bumpy fashion. don't know how to check air tire pressure, scared to actually. No more full Serve Gas Stations exist in this day and age where we could always use help with tire checks, fueling gas for those in wheel chairs and chemically sensitive persons like myself who choke at the smell of gas even. Then there are the new electric cars that need charging and there's a lot of elderly environmentally conscious persons out there w/ these type of cars that would appreciate a Full Serve electric charge assistant at a gas station near by. I must go see Good Year Sat, that's as soon as I will have a chance for them to check my tires. Hey does it make a diff that they sold me 3 tires for a size 155-80-13, and they gave me a 175-13-85? Would that make a difference in the handling of my car? See I feel so stupid NOT knowing how to talk CAR or know much about whats under my cars hood. I know I must work even in the rain I must commute to work.but I do feel extra claustrophobic in my car as I drive to work, and a bit upset at these people who are like 2 ft from the end of my car while driving Not just at the stops or red lights. Furthermore there is a legal limit to drive safely in the rain, and most these same people whom I am being annoyed by are refusing to go into the faster lane but instead tail me and increase their speed as we enter a stop area like red light or stop signs or even the speed bumps in the road, and they catch up on a speed bump and then you know they are def going too fast when this happens on a rainy, extra wet road day.......I'm no princess or I would have a chauffeur with a hummer that was electric or solar powered as I am environmentally aware. I suppose even a nice new Buick with leather interiors and a fine guy driving me to and from work would be ok too. I'm not a Porsche girl or a Rolls Royce lover. I am realistic and extra scared of these bad drivers out there on the road. Even after 9AM, just when I think its safe to drive to work w/ less traffic, they still manage to stock , or tail my car almost all the way to work.I am sick of this totally.....

Hi 1Blue,

Do you live near any reasonable-size towns? I bet there is an evening class on car maintenance not very far away from you. If not just visit your local garage or service centre and ask them to give the care a once over and lend you a hunky mechanic to give you a 20 minute checklist and demonstration of how to check your tyres and levels.

I read online about , "The Tire Penny Test." If the treads dont cover lincoln's head then the tire tread is too worn down. but the problem im feeling w/ the car is more like the motion after I did a u turn the rolling motion felt lumpy , as if I had run over something. but I visually checked tires several hours later and did not see any air deflation that was real obvious to me/ I plan to see Goodyear on Sat. I must call later and make an appt for a true tire inspection. Though last time they sold me tires they sold me the 175-13-83 instead of the 155-80-13. Would that make a big difference in the handling and ride of the tires?

When you felt the 'bumpy feeling' doing a u-turn was the weather pretty cold, or colder than usual?

That sounds very much like the tyres skipping slightly. It's nothing to worry about. The wider the tread width the more you feel it and if the ground is cold even more so. It's caused by the difference in turn angle between inside and outside edge causing a twisting motion.

That sounds like it to me.

The weather was cold and it was raining later that day.Does the tire ? mean anything significantly?
    Last edited by 1Bluerose68; 12-02-2014 at 10:42 PM.

No, it's fairly normal. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

All of the things you've describe fit it perfectly. In the summer it'll happen less because the rubber is softer and gives more. It'll happen less if the car is loaded rather than empty.

Because you've gone up from 155mm wide tyres to 175mm it'll just be a new feeling you're not used to.

It's ok.
    Last edited by Ryker; 12-03-2014 at 12:29 AM.

So why is there so much emphasis on the car shop, say goodyear telling me they don't have my tire size for the make and year of my 89 car. Or actually Cosco had this note online about that. The sales guy said they had only Michelin which is kind of a more expensive brand. Is that a good tire for a small car you think? Or the tire at Sears for 68.00 ALL Weather tire. They say no Winter tires in my car size ?Do Winter tires dry out and get cracked in the hot summer heat, if car parked daily outdoors?So they are supposed to be rotated to All Season in the Summer?
    Last edited by 1Bluerose68; 12-03-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Do you know if the rims are standard? They could well be different from what the car was shipped with. That's quite common.

Personally I like Michelin. That's my choice given a chance. For a few extra quid it's a good investment I think. For any car. Cheaper budget tyres don't feel the same to me.

Cosco is having a 3 and 1 free special for its members. Not sure about the rim ?. I lost my cars Beauty rign, does that make a big difference? Also my cars is missing hub caps, so the black wheels look bad against the hubless aluminum. Should I just invest in 4 wheel that hold the tires and have no hub caps just the wheels. I think my tires are very small, only a size 14' or so? They dont seem to have too many designs for my tires...Dealing w/ car issues REALLY does make me anxious. Dad always was the 1 to deal w/ the car issues. being a single lady and transitioning to dealing w/ car issues on my own is REALLY stressful.....Any other women stress over their cars???

Costco gets good reviews here for tyres. I'd go there but they don't do my tyre size.

They will be able to advise you there I'm sure, and they'll do a decent tyre at a very good price. Just ask them what they'd do if it was their car and ask how much.

edit: just checked - they do do my car tyres now. Bummer, just bought 2 as well, could have saved some money there
    Last edited by Ryker; 12-04-2014 at 09:51 AM.