Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

What diseases would you swap anxiety and agoraphobia for if you had the chance?

So you suffer agoraphobia and panic attacks then one day you are magically given a chance to be free of panic by an alternative choice.

1) keep the agoraphobia and panic attacks

Or

2) exchange them for 1 chronic medical condition such as:

Chronic myeloid leukaemia
    Skin cancer
    Kidney disease
    Lymphoma

Please give reasons for your choice.

I would choose option 2. Yes they are nasty painful diseases but anxiety is like immense pain it is mental pain. It may be scary having Lymphoma but every day with anxiety is scary even though there is no apparent reason for your fear.

People are sympathetic to those with physical diseases but not to those with mental health conditions.

With cancer you may fear death. But you fear death every time you have a panic attack even though you know you won't die.
    Lastly the diseases in (2) do not prevent you enjoying a walk around town being in crowds. You may be in pain but your confidence is still there. You can enjoy life. With anxiety life is one crisis after another.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    So you suffer agoraphobia and panic attacks then one day you are magically given a chance to be free of panic by an alternative choice.

1) keep the agoraphobia and panic attacks

Or

2) exchange them for 1 chronic medical condition such as:

Chronic myeloid leukaemia
    Skin cancer
    Kidney disease
    Lymphoma

Please give reasons for your choice.

I would choose option 2. Yes they are nasty painful diseases but anxiety is like immense pain it is mental pain. It may be scary having Lymphoma but every day with anxiety is scary even though there is no apparent reason for your fear.

People are sympathetic to those with physical diseases but not to those with mental health conditions.

With cancer you may fear death. But you fear death every time you have a panic attack even though you know you won't die.
    Lastly the diseases in (2) do not prevent you enjoying a walk around town being in crowds. You may be in pain but your confidence is still there. You can enjoy life. With anxiety life is one crisis after another.
    Do not do this exercise, period.. Even for 'fun'.

Replace anxiety with a beneficial state such as exuberance and health.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 12-01-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

I'd happily have any of those diseases in the list if I could be rid of my anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia. I would beg to be given the choice.
    Of course I'd prefer to have no disease at all, but life requires misfortune to outweigh fortune.

life requires misfortune to outweigh fortune.
    That is a belief. It is also untrue. Believing it as untrue would change your life.
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 12-02-2014 at 05:29 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

I'd happily have any of those diseases in the list if I could be rid of my anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia. I would beg to be given the choice.
    Of course I'd prefer to have no disease at all, but life requires misfortune to outweigh fortune.
    If you really want to be free of agoraphobia and panic attacks then just deal with them. It's not difficult, it just requires the will.