Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: New here

New here

I'm new to this forum. Hello to everyone.
    I had my first panic attack while giving an oral presentation in a college class. I was about 20 years old.
    I've been to numerous doctors. They all prescribe antidepressants, none of which work for me. Several of them give me insomnia.
    Only tranquilizers help, but lots of doctors are hesitant to prescribe them, especially in the quantities I need.
    I'm 60 now, and haven't worked in 13 years. My main fears are social - I don't like talking to strangers and I can't stand job interviews or public speaking. I've gone to the emergency room several times thinking I was having a heart attack.
    For years I self-medicated with alcohol, but had to quit because it was wrecking my health. Also, my tolerance was getting so high it no longer helped much.
    I've been reading about people who recovered from anxiety disorders after using magic mushrooms. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure where I'd get them, but I'm willing to try anything.
    I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone whose experience has been similar to mine.
    Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    I'm new to this forum. Hello to everyone.
    I had my first panic attack while giving an oral presentation in a college class. I was about 20 years old.
    I've been to numerous doctors. They all prescribe antidepressants, none of which work for me. Several of them give me insomnia.
    Only tranquilizers help, but lots of doctors are hesitant to prescribe them, especially in the quantities I need.
    I'm 60 now, and haven't worked in 13 years. My main fears are social - I don't like talking to strangers and I can't stand job interviews or public speaking. I've gone to the emergency room several times thinking I was having a heart attack.
    For years I self-medicated with alcohol, but had to quit because it was wrecking my health. Also, my tolerance was getting so high it no longer helped much.
    I've been reading about people who recovered from anxiety disorders after using magic mushrooms. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure where I'd get them, but I'm willing to try anything.
    I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone whose experience has been similar to mine.
    Thanks for listening.
    Welcome to the forum. : ) Skip the mushrooms, it could cause a drug induced psychotic episode.
    Last edited by JustaGal; 11-24-2014 at 10:42 PM.

hey ! im new here too. Just came across your thread. I too have social anxiety issues and have experienced panic attacks.

I've tried magic mushrooms. It freaked the fairies out of me ! It don't suit many of us, if not all of us with anxiety issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaGal View Post
    Welcome to the forum. : ) Skip the mushrooms, it could cause a drug induced psychotic episode.
    Thanks for the advice. Do you know anything specific about the mushrooms, or are you just being cautious? I used LSD in college 40 years ago and didn't have any bad reactions. The effects of mushrooms on the brain have been in the news a lot lately. Also, what has your experience been with antidepressants? Every doctor I meet tries them on me, but they just keep me awake.

Thanks for the reply. Have you found that doctors always prescribe antidepressants for panic attacks? They do nothing for me. Have you tried them? I'm willing to give mushrooms a try (in a small dose) based on some positive things I've read. But I'm an old guy and probably won't be able to figure out where to buy them. I'm at my wit's end. Nothing works except benzos Alcohol used to work, but after years of drinking I got sick of it and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Do you know anything specific about the mushrooms, or are you just being cautious? I used LSD in college 40 years ago and didn't have any bad reactions. The effects of mushrooms on the brain have been in the news a lot lately. Also, what has your experience been with antidepressants? Every doctor I meet tries them on me, but they just keep me awake.
    Hi,

I know people have freaked out and had bad trips. There are people that also enjoy it. I have done acid a few times. The other issue is flashbacks.

AD's help me, I tried to not take them, but I do better on.