Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Want to come off meds.

I'm currently on a low dose of a Sertraline and want to come off completely but my doctor told me it have to be on them for 6-9 months. I get very negative thoughts about myself but I'm in a better place in my life now so feel that I don't need them any more. Thoughts?

Could you elaborate on "you have to be on them for 6-9 months"?

A doctor can advise that it would be best that you remain on them for 6-9 months, but unless you are under a mental health order etc you have the right to stop taking the medication and the doctor should provide you with the information you require on how to ween yourself off of medication if that is what you desire.

If this is something you feel strongly about I would go back to the doctors or see a different doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirenne
    I'm currently on a low dose of a Sertraline and want to come off completely but my doctor told me it have to be on them for 6-9 months. I get very negative thoughts about myself but I'm in a better place in my life now so feel that I don't need them any more. Thoughts?
    Maybe try a lower dose for a while, and then see how you feel. Don't go all the way down to zero and definitely don't tamper off too fast. If you still feel good at a lower dose, continue to lower it until you feel you are comfortable (always talk to your doctor first though).If you start feeling negative again, you'll know that the dose you are on at that time might need to be maintained further. Let me know if you need any more help.
    Dr. Dan