Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anxiety and Alcohol

Hi
    I suffer from panic attacks, unreality feelings and to some extent agrophobia in that I avoid towns and busy traffic. I fear I will faint in a crowded place. Mornings are worse so I get up late. I only visit supermarkets when its dark often after 8pm.

But only in the evening before bed, I have a few beers or a few glasses of wine as I feel most relaxed then. I never drink to get legless, but At that time I feel free of anxiety, I feel I can accomplish many things and it gives me a chance to think through my ambitions, I feel happy and I feel I can do anything. The thought of going into town when it's really busy during mid day for example seems possible.

The next morning though I'm brought back to my agoraphobic reality.

Ok it probably seems good to get a release from anxiety for an hour before bed, but could alcohol be making my anxiety worse in the long run?

It did for me.

i drank pretty heavily and while I was drinking my anxiety was at its worst. I've not had a drink for 11 years now and have been incredibly different all that time.

If there was one thing to do I'd say that was to stop drinking.

I drank heavy, I quit during my panic fear for a couple months. Cold Turkey, and now I drink pretty regularly the only difference though is I dont drink nearly as much as I did. So I would say if you dont want to quit, drink within moderation.

Quitting is just healthy so a good Idea, but hey sometimes its something you dont want to give up.

Well you drink and it seems to relax you, then next day anxiety is hitting worse so more beers or wine. It becomes quickly not pleasure but must. I know it, been there, stopped that. I was sober for 8 years not even a drop, when my children were grown up , i had a drink of gin or one beer, never more. There comes the moment when you will know that drinking is not for you. I quit drinking then smoking )
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    Ok it probably seems good to get a release from anxiety for an hour before bed, but could alcohol be making my anxiety worse in the long run?
    Short answer = yes
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Kinda laughing to myself.....am I the only one still drinking with Anxiety and Panic LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Exactice View Post
    Kinda laughing to myself.....am I the only one still drinking with Anxiety and Panic LOL!
    Just because I know it's bad doesn't mean I never do it

I self-medicated with large amounts of alcohol for years and it's probably the worst thing you can do (except maybe take amphetamines). If you're able to drink moderately then that's another story I guess. I've been in situations though where my anxiety is unbearable and yet doctors refuse to prescribe sedatives so I've gone and bought alcohol. It's a horrible way to be.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Anxiety will definitely make anxiety worse and bring it out. When I was healing from anxiety I cut out alcohol completely. Especially if you drink a bit too much, the next day is fertile ground for a panic attack. I think at first it relaxes you but then later increases the risk of anxiety. Also caffeine. For mow make your drink of choice organic chamomile tea. You can do a chamomile/lavender even mint blend if you want to get real crazy! Add raw organic honey. My advice is get better than drink a beer. It will give you motivation to get better knowing there's an ice cold beer at the end of it!

I went to a gig last night and got pretty drunk I am really starting to regret it now. Hangovers really fuel my anxiety especially after a heavy session!
    last weekend on a night out I drank a pint of water along with each alcoholic beverage I bought, my friends ripped it into me and called me ''Aqua man'' because the amount of water I was drinking. I woke up the next day and I felt great I wasn't even hungover only a little tired. Shame of my friends they felt like crap!!! I really wish I did the same last night :/
    Last edited by Charles Price; 11-06-2014 at 03:45 PM.

I cant drink at all or my anxiety will go into overdrive. Though I love a good drink, its not worth what I have to go through afterwards-it only makes things better for a short period. Plus if you are taking any anxiety meds they can cause reactions with alcohol