Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Driving 468x60
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 188
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,335
    Quote Originally Posted by RealisticTrain View Post

    Have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or CBT? It might help. Talk to your doctor about it. He might refer you to a psychologist that actually administers the CBT, if you don't already have one.
    -Dr. Dan
    I've never tried it seriously. This was my guess though, thanks
    Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. —Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish, Game of Thrones

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    I've never tried it seriously. This was my guess though, thanks
    Then I don't know what kind of doctors you're with because any competent psychiatrist can clearly see that this is ideal for CBT. good luck and keep us updated!
    - Dr. Dan

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,335
    Quote Originally Posted by RealisticTrain View Post

    Then I don't know what kind of doctors you're with because any competent psychiatrist can clearly see that this is ideal for CBT. good luck and keep us updated!
    - Dr. Dan
    I'm not with any. My psychiatrist retired a few years ago and I didn't bother seeking another one. To be honest I'm a bit jaded about the medical profession and their competency in treating things like anxiety. Well I'm a bit jaded about their competency full stop lol.

    I could write a whole essay on this

    Thanks again, I will investigate CBT.
    Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is. —Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish, Game of Thrones

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by RealisticTrain View Post
    Do tell us, how where you able to "cure" yourself? I'm sure many people here would like to know!
    - Dr. Dan
    Anxiety disorder is in fact a Dis-Ease of the body, maybe more correctly termed "disorder". It occurs when one is so sensitive that anxiety is triggered at incorrect times. That is the disorder. Simply doping someone up or telling them just to relax will not get to the underlying issue. I realize some people need medication so I am not against anxiety medication as a whole. What I am against is complete lack of any long term cure from medication. We can debate the term "cure" if you want. but it simply means one is debilitated from an anxiety disorder and then overcomes it and lives a normal life. That is cured in my book. This idea that one should only seek to learn to maintain their anxiety is also misguided information. I do not have to do anything anymore to keep my anxiety under control. It is simply non existent.

    Yes, I realize the fight or flight response can occur in times of danger, but that is not a disorder. No more a disorder than if one's family member dies and they get depressed. That is a normal reaction, not a depression disorder. The disorder is what many people here experience, is they are sitting on the couch watching TV and all of a sudden out of nowhere the walls start caving in and then their heart goes to 160 BPM and they feel their head will explode and pace around the home running for a safe place in full on freak out mode. That is the fight or flight response triggered in the wrong way. THAT IS THE DISORDER! That improper trigger is what can be cured. There is no medication for a long term benefit for this. Only by natural means, not only supplements and herbs, but by certain lifestyle changes and certain behavior modifications will get one past anxiety. This is something doctors can not do. Besides CBT or other qualified anxiety therapists which can be a great help.

    So call it what it is. Benzos offer temporary benefit for a few hours which can easily turn sour after a few months, and offer zero in the long term benefit. If one gets addicted than they will have a whole new set of problems to deal with. Again, I would never say nobody needs meds as I assume there is a time and place for them, but call it what it is. It is not a long term treatment. They are temporary band aids. I detailed my healing path in the stickies above how I went from anxiety/agoraphobic to what I consider normal, if you care to read.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by PanicCured View Post
    Anxiety disorder is in fact a Dis-Ease of the body, maybe more correctly termed "disorder". It occurs when one is so sensitive that anxiety is triggered at incorrect times. That is the disorder. Simply doping someone up or telling them just to relax will not get to the underlying issue. I realize some people need medication so I am not against anxiety medication as a whole. What I am against is complete lack of any long term cure from medication. We can debate the term "cure" if you want. but it simply means one is debilitated from an anxiety disorder and then overcomes it and lives a normal life. That is cured in my book. This idea that one should only seek to learn to maintain their anxiety is also misguided information. I do not have to do anything anymore to keep my anxiety under control. It is simply non existent.

    Yes, I realize the fight or flight response can occur in times of danger, but that is not a disorder. No more a disorder than if one's family member dies and they get depressed. That is a normal reaction, not a depression disorder. The disorder is what many people here experience, is they are sitting on the couch watching TV and all of a sudden out of nowhere the walls start caving in and then their heart goes to 160 BPM and they feel their head will explode and pace around the home running for a safe place in full on freak out mode. That is the fight or flight response triggered in the wrong way. THAT IS THE DISORDER! That improper trigger is what can be cured. There is no medication for a long term benefit for this. Only by natural means, not only supplements and herbs, but by certain lifestyle changes and certain behavior modifications will get one past anxiety. This is something doctors can not do. Besides CBT or other qualified anxiety therapists which can be a great help.

    So call it what it is. Benzos offer temporary benefit for a few hours which can easily turn sour after a few months, and offer zero in the long term benefit. If one gets addicted than they will have a whole new set of problems to deal with. Again, I would never say nobody needs meds as I assume there is a time and place for them, but call it what it is. It is not a long term treatment. They are temporary band aids. I detailed my healing path in the stickies above how I went from anxiety/agoraphobic to what I consider normal, if you care to read.
    From a medical perspective, I completely agree; lifestyle changes and proper cognitive training are the gold standard for treatment for anxiety disorders. What you might not know however, is how many people there are that simply do not respond to CBT, or have tried all the lifestyle tips and are not improving. For these people, medication is their ONLY hope. Antidepressants such as SSRI's can and usually are taken long term, and are relatively safe.
    On the opposite side, there are people, like yourself, who can get "cured" by the means you suggested, however they don't respond at all to medications. I know you look at me and think, oh this guy is getting paid by big pharma, yada, yada
    That's not the case. I've never taken any offers from any drug company. But I do know the medicine. And I know it well. Med school will kill you financially and perhaps emotionally, but it will make you a true doctor. People believe in herbal treatments and hypnosis, whatever, well...doctors believe in the medicine.
    - Dr. Dan

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by raggamuffin View Post
    Hi, thanks for the prompt response. The pain has always been an ache. never any pins and needles. The ache was originally very intense. Only rememdied by lying down as sitting tends to make the pains feel worse. My ex and I tested negative for STD's but we were having unprotected sex. Saw multiple Dr's at the sexual health clinic who told me the structure of the epididymis is almost like a cave netowrk and so infection can be hard to eradicate due to blood flow levels as well as it's composition.

    My dr did once prescribe me something for nerve pains called amitriptyline. It gave me a bit of an odd side effect where after i'd go to the toilet I'd start noticing a dripping of urine which is obviously quite embaressing. Is Gabapentin in a different family of drugs?

    Honestly the pain had subsided for about 3 months. Occasionally it'd ache very slightly for an hour or so. but this recent flare up seems possibly stress related. Friend's husband got testicular cancer. Which make me somewhat obsess over checking down there. The epididymis on that side remains swollen and with all the rather frantic checking the area then became extremely sore once again and 2 weeks later the pain remains even though the worry about cancer faded very quickly as the testes felt fine, the aches and pains continue to be quite prevalent.

    I'm seeing my GP tomorrow who used to be a urologist. I'd just really like to try a medication free route but I wonder if that's not possible. I was told by all the Dr's that it could simply burn out eventually. i thought that'd already happened when the pain first subsided for a prolonged period. However I still remember the affected area remaining swollen and after examining the area each fortnight to check for abnormalities etc that it'd ache slightly for a while after checking. It just seems odd that the area still feels swollen (not the teste itself but the chords/tubes) but every Dr who checked said it felt "fine" and the ultra sound last year was fine and that's 6 different Dr's now who've checked.

    Anyway, I appreciate your input. I'll have a word with the GP tomorrow, see what he could possibly recommend. It's a bit of a tough situation though. Knowing it could take years or decades for this to pass. I mean I'm comfortable being single until things clear up because after making love it feels like someone has taken a sledgehammer to my balls and remains that intense for days. Decades though? Ach...I guess nobody said life would be fair.

    I asked Dr's about surgery but they said that can create additional problems and cause cysts post surgery. Read a few people on a forum of epididymitis sufferers who'd had the op and still had pain months/years later. perhaps it was similar to phantom limb syndrome. Maybe this is solely to do with the nerve endings? The consultant urologist said he'd book me in for physical therapy as there could be a lot of pelvic tension contributing to the issue. I was quite surprised however that he didn't even perform a physical examination on the testes. Months later and I still never got the letter about the physical therapy.

    Ed
    Ed,

    I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain. Have you ever been prescribed opiate-based painkillers like oxycontin or morphine? These can help in the short term but they are not a sustainable long term solution. Unfortunately all you can do right now is manage the pain and hope it burns out sooner than later. There's nothing you can do to expedite the process. Let me know if you need help with anything else, Ed. Best of luck to you.
    - Dr. Dan

  7. #27
    On another note, mods can we sticky this thread? Or someone who knows how to reach the mods, can you reach them and let them know?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,238
    I do not agree with you. Medication does not cure an anxiety disorder and when you say people do not respond to other means, that is not true. That just did not do the proper work. They either simply found a way to avoid what needs to be done such as face their fears, or they simply have not been taught how, because doctors give them pills and tell them to just relax. Most people do not do what needs to be done. If you probe you will see. But the people that took initiative and went full speed, they get better. Even if there is a biochemical cause such as a thyroid issue, blood sugar issue, Vitamin D deficiency, etc., when you go full speed you end up finding this stuff out. What I mean is, if you are totally motivated to get better and you will seek every treatment you need and do everything possible in your life to overcome it, you will find what you need and you will get better.

    "doctors believe in the medicine" But pharmaceuticals do not cure anxiety so what you believe is irrelevant. A cure means they do not need to take or do anything anymore, they are normal and their body has returned to a balanced state. Some people may need an SSRI or a Benzo, sure, but it is not a cure. SSRIs are not easy to get off either and calling it "discontinuation syndrome" may sound better than withdrawal but really is it?

    I was hyperventilating all the time. Not one doctor said anything to me about this. I read a book on Buteyko breathing techniques, practiced it for 5 days and my anxiety cut in half. I then continuted to practice it and learned to not overbreathe, which can lead to anxiety. And as you know, oxygen is released from the hemoglobin via the CO2 partial pressure difference, and when one overbreathes, too much CO2 is released, which causes oxygen molecules to not be released to your organs and brain from the red blood cells. The more I hyperventilated the less oxygen my body was getting. The dizzyness, and many symptoms in a panic attack have to do with too much CO2 being released from too much breathing. When I did exercises to underbreathe, such as with the Buteyko method, I was able to slowly retrain my respiratory centers of my brain, and more oxygen was released. I could feel warmth throughout my body after about 10-15 minutes of doing it. I did these exercises at least twice a day. Most importantly, I learned to breathe through my nose and keep my breathing calm and not to overbreathe. The old paper bag thing. Although I suppose that is considered not safe anymore to breathe into a paper bag. Little things like this are true healing. Learning that when a panic attack comes, to sit and be still and ride it out rather than run for a safe place.

    It's like someone who is scared to fly. The worst thing to do is not fly. They need to get educated and then fly and deal with it. But a lot of people with anxiety mold their life to their disorder. This causes the disorder to go deeper. They put limits on themselves because, "I have anxiety so I do not do that." There is a lot more, but I have wrote it all elsewhere on this site. My point is, there is real healing and it works, but the person has to be willing to do the work. and let's face it, a lot of people simply won't go full speed and want instant relief. But why don't doctors say here is a Benzo to take for the temporary relief but take only of you need it, but here is the list of what you must do to reap long term benefit. The goal should be to eventually not need anything. Yet we have the whole addiction aspect of it which throws the whole thing off.

    Although certain herbs and supplements can do what medication can't, which is nourish and heal the overly sensitive nervous system, ultimately, the most important is retraining the brain by changing behavior patterns and facing their fears with proper knowledge.

    A simple as this sounds, it works. I wrote this a while ago. Practicing techniques like this, is what I consider true healing and this begins with a mindset to do whatever it takes: http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showth...-Panic-Attacks

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,742
    Panic cured you never agree with anyone, your purpose on this forum is to convince everyone that your are right. ) People avoid discussing with your for a good reason)
    I just send the message about making it sticky, maybe it will work.
    Last edited by Dahila; 11-06-2014 at 08:43 AM.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    Panic cured you never agree with anyone, your purpose on this forum is to convince everyone that your are right. ) People avoid discussing with your for a good reason)
    I just send the message about making it sticky, maybe it will work.
    OH and I thought I was the only one, this guy pissed me off in another thread, But I realized he is a hypocrite. Anyways Hopefully we just ignore home and keep this awesome thread active as there are members here trying to help!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Driving Large