Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thank you Daniel for being here with us.

Hi Daniel,

First time I've actually gotten around to reading your thread.

Say, I have an appointment tomorrow with a new doctor; I've gone basically untreated for year now. I suppose I've been trying to "cope" by using natural supplements, and relying on faith. Faith in a higher power (solely to get me through this) I suppose would be the only way to describe it without getting too specific.

I'm wondering how to approach with this new doctor that I basically have ABSOLUTELY nobody in my real life (no friends or a caring family). This was a huge problem when I went into therapy years ago, because, they were hesitant to release me due to the fact that my only "life" is on the internet, and that was quite frowned upon. Even my online connections have dwindled to almost nothing now, and I refuse to beg strangers for friendship.

I'd bet you been asked this question several times, and in various ways by others, but I couldn't find it by searching quickly.

I'm a bit apprehensive to even tell him anything at all about my total isolation from society, and fear if committed/admitted into a hospital setting, I will have be in serious danger of being held for as long as my insurance will allow (of course), and set right back into the same situation I'm "currently" in as I write this.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for you time.
    "I have no limits, no filter, no class, no poise. No decorum. Just fun"

-Update-

I got back from the appointment with the new doc and it pretty much was no help at all, so I'll look around for another doctor I suppose. He was more interested in looking at his watch that anything I had to say, so I didn't say much or even bother. It never came down to being admitted anyway, because I really didn't say all that much about some of my "true" feelings.

As expected I mentioned Zoloft and he said there are better and more effective ones out there now (of course), but I actually do have another appointment for next Friday and hopefully it was just an awkward 1st visit.

Its just a shame to feel like you are back at "square 1" all over again, and makes one get discouraged easily.

Must not give up.

Post flight anxiety

Hello Daniel,
    My issue has been going on for a little over a year, and while so I've been under an enormous amount of stress. Major stress with career, 3 kids, two houses that won't sell, etc. I've been plagued with anxiety attacks for at least a week after I fly on a plane. I've been on almost 20 flights in the past year and every time like clock work, I have anxiety attacks for the week after my flights. I don't have problems on the flight itself, "except once." But after for at least a few days, I suffer from panic and intense anxiety with diarrhea. The therapist I've been seeing seems to think it's a delayed reaction to the stress of the flight, coffee sets me off too. I'm wondering if something more biological is going on. We did a blood food allergy test and found that I'm moderately sensitive to gluten and wheat and eggs (level 3 out of 6). She thinks this could be underlying cause for the anxiety on top of the stress I have. I'd love to hear if you have ever heard of a problem like this because I can't find anything online of post flight anxiety, etc. Thanks so much for your help. I don't have to fly for another month and I have to get this figured out for my job and other obvious reasons.

best regards,
    Last edited by Loyd; 03-05-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfside View Post

Its just a shame to feel like you are back at "square 1" all over again, and makes one get discouraged easily.

Must not give up.
    Oh well, all appointments are canceled now due to weather conditions, so this is only making me want to just throw in the towel even more now and just say the heck with it all. I just feel completely at a stand still (yet again). Ah well, I'm always just spinning my wheels anyway and never really getting anywhere. I'll return here when I'm able.

Anyway,

Hope you get some answers @Loyd.
    Last edited by Surfside; 03-05-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealisticTrain View Post
    Just wanted to introduce myself here. I'm Daniel, and I'm currently near the end of my psychiatry residency at the university of toronto. As such, I have vast knowledge of all things psychiatric, be it medication, alternative treatments,..anything to do with the mind!

I love helping others so I want you guys to know that I'll try to be here on the forum for as long as I can (clinic hours are a bitch) and available to answer questions. Please remember that I am a doctor in training still, and any advice that I give you MUST be approved by your attending doctor first before you attempt any changes.

I've also had my fair share of anxiety and depression in my life, so I can relate. I've made a full recovery, am doing the job that I love, and I'd you all to be able to rid yourself of these worries and just live life. And maybe I can be there to help.

Thanks!

Just a thought...maybe we can sticky this, mods?
    What was it that helped you over your anxiety problems? Was there a certain trigger or revelation? And what is your preferred cure for anxiety such as agoraphobia?

hi. Is it okay for people with anxiety and panic disorder to tell themselves to don't think of anything whenever it acts up such as during work times, lectures, study periods and public places? Basically want to know if it is alright to don't think of anything? Since people with anxiety like me usually feels the need to think inorder to feel secure.

Quote Originally Posted by frozen View Post
    hi. Is it okay for people with anxiety and panic disorder to tell themselves to don't think of anything whenever it acts up such as during work times, lectures, study periods and public places? Basically want to know if it is alright to don't think of anything? Since people with anxiety like me usually feels the need to think inorder to feel secure.
    That's actually a really good question! I'd like to know the answer to that as well. However, I think it is impossible to not think of anything, since it is our thoughts that actually lead us to a panic attack. Personally, I have to talk to myself, explaining to myself what is happening and why and just let the symptoms come. I try not being afraid of it anymore, but it needs a bit of practice I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RealisticTrain
    Just wanted to introduce myself here. I'm Daniel, and I'm currently near the end of my psychiatry residency at the university of toronto. As such, I have vast knowledge of all things psychiatric, be it medication, alternative treatments,..anything to do with the mind!

I love helping others so I want you guys to know that I'll try to be here on the forum for as long as I can (clinic hours are a bitch) and available to answer questions. Please remember that I am a doctor in training still, and any advice that I give you MUST be approved by your attending doctor first before you attempt any changes.

I've also had my fair share of anxiety and depression in my life, so I can relate. I've made a full recovery, am doing the job that I love, and I'd you all to be able to rid yourself of these worries and just live life. And maybe I can be there to help.

Thanks!

Just a thought...maybe we can sticky this, mods?
    Hi. For anxiety caused by past failures, how to deal with it? Isit don't think about the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Kixxi

That's actually a really good question! I'd like to know the answer to that as well. However, I think it is impossible to not think of anything, since it is our thoughts that actually lead us to a panic attack. Personally, I have to talk to myself, explaining to myself what is happening and why and just let the symptoms come. I try not being afraid of it anymore, but it needs a bit of practice I think.

Icic. Your method most probably might not work on me...I feel much better if I tell myself to don't think about anything. Because I tend to make myself to think alot. Do you think if it will be helpful to tell myself to don't think of anything whenever anxiety acts up? Thanks for your tips! =)