Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Self Harm Thoughts

So lately I've been having thoughts, like little movies in my head, of me harming myself (non-fatally). Sometimes I'm taking too many pills; sometimes I intentionally trip downstairs; sometimes I walk out in front of a moving car. I also sometimes imagine cutting off my excess body fat with meat trimmers. The most pervasive is of me cutting my wrists, always the non-deadly way, and watching them bleed. I keep squeezing out the blood until I'm woozy. The goal of these "fantasies" is never to feel pain or kill myself, but to create a numbness. Has anybody else had this problem? I also have very gruesome nightmares. Two nights ago I dreamed my scalp was covered with sores and it was peeling up with my hair. I've also had a few sexual assault dreams and a violent abortion dream (I'm not pregnant). How do I deal with this? I don't want to act on any of it, but I have done some minor cutting in the past (shallow cuts, thin instruments, over preexisting scars) so falling prey to it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility. When I think about it, I get a tingle in my wrist and sometimes I even act it out with my fingernail, not breaking skin. The images are getting more pervasive and I'm scared. I can't see a therapist until November 8. For background info, I have Panic Disorder and GAD. I've been talking a low dose of sertraline (Zoloft) for about four months. It was successful until about two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by flopmonkey View Post
    So lately I've been having thoughts, like little movies in my head, of me harming myself (non-fatally). Sometimes I'm taking too many pills; sometimes I intentionally trip downstairs; sometimes I walk out in front of a moving car. I also sometimes imagine cutting off my excess body fat with meat trimmers. The most pervasive is of me cutting my wrists, always the non-deadly way, and watching them bleed. I keep squeezing out the blood until I'm woozy. The goal of these "fantasies" is never to feel pain or kill myself, but to create a numbness. Has anybody else had this problem? I also have very gruesome nightmares. Two nights ago I dreamed my scalp was covered with sores and it was peeling up with my hair. I've also had a few sexual assault dreams and a violent abortion dream (I'm not pregnant). How do I deal with this? I don't want to act on any of it, but I have done some minor cutting in the past (shallow cuts, thin instruments, over preexisting scars) so falling prey to it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility. When I think about it, I get a tingle in my wrist and sometimes I even act it out with my fingernail, not breaking skin. The images are getting more pervasive and I'm scared. I can't see a therapist until November 8. For background info, I have Panic Disorder and GAD. I've been talking a low dose of sertraline (Zoloft) for about four months. It was successful until about two weeks ago.
    In the meantime:

1800 334 HELP

1800 273-TALK

1800 DONT CUT

www.selfinjury.com
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 10-15-2014 at 11:34 AM.